2.6 and 7200 rpm advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacHiavelli, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

    MacHiavelli

    Joined:
    May 17, 2007
    Location:
    new york
    #1
    Am looking at the MBPs... does the bump from 2.4 to 2.6 on the processor make much diff? Is it worth having/worth paying for?

    Would like a 7200 rpm drive, but the wait is 3 weeks. Any views on performance diff between the 5400 and the 7200 drives?

    Thanks :confused:
     
  2. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

    Salty Pirate

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2005
    Location:
    kansas city
    #2
    Do you like speed?

    I have the SR 15" 2.4 and I added the 160 GB 7200 disk and went to 4 GB RAM and this machine is TEH SNAP.

    Obviously, if you do things that are CPU dependent, that extra 200 MHz is welcome, but if funds are limited, I would vote for the 7200 disk and extra RAM. This is the first notebook I have ever owned that gives me desktop like speed. I never swap out at 4 GB of RAM.
     
  3. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

    MacHiavelli

    Joined:
    May 17, 2007
    Location:
    new york
    #3
    Thanks for the advice - I love speed, but have never found a computer that doesn't keep me waiting.

    I'll buy RAM elsewhere, the Apple RAM is so expensive.
     
  4. Ryox macrumors 6502a

    Ryox

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    More RAM does more for your laptop, so if your going to spend money, get more memory
     
  5. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

    MacHiavelli

    Joined:
    May 17, 2007
    Location:
    new york
    #5
    I would have thought the hard drive speed would have made quite a difference, no?
     
  6. Ryox macrumors 6502a

    Ryox

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    UK
    #6
    If you do Video Editing and use apps that demand a fast read/write time to HDs than yes

    Well, when I get my MBP I'm going for a 7200rpm disk
     
  7. ps49556n macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #7


    I am in a similar situation...after holding out for a new macbook pro for 2 years i think i am finally ready as i do not see new penryn macbook pros until spring 2008 which is too much for me... I selected the 2.6 c2d 7200 rpm drive 15 inch model but the ship date is crazy... According to the ship date i wont receive the computer until the earliest first week in december.... This to me is unnacceptable...later today i wil check out the fifth ave store to see if they have the configuration I want...
     
  8. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #8
    if you do video editing you're going to want to use an external hard drive anyways, so it doesn't really matter whether you have 5400 or 7200 internal.
     
  9. fadethis macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2007
    #9
    maxing out your RAM will yield a much more substantial result both in performace and cost effectiveness (assuming you order 3rd party of course)

    multimedia editing likes faster HDs, but check out http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd7.html for a hd comparison

    and zioxide is correct, video/audio editors use external anyway

    i went with 7200rpm drive + maxing RAM -- it would have been nice to get the 200gb tho :rolleyes:
     
  10. Erukian macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2007
    #10
    get the hitachi 7k200 (200gb 7200rpm drive) that's about 25% faster than other 2.5" 7200RPM drives according to a lot of reviews floating around.

    I went to a authorized apple service center locally and they installed my hitachi 7k200 for $40 and they did the 2x2gb of ram for free as well. yay for not voiding my warranty. The hitachi drive runs around $200, way cheaper than what the apple store has.

    So 2.6ghz? worth the extra money? imho not unless you really really need hte power. i'd take the money you'd save and get the 2.4 version w/ the hitachi 7k200.

    here's a relevant review. http://www.barefeats.com/rosa05.html

    -Joe
     
  11. mandoman macrumors 6502

    mandoman

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2005
    #11
    I'm within my 14 day window and really tempted to return
    my 15" to one with the 7200rpm 200gb drive. Maybe go to
    2.6Ghz even. 1st week of december delivery though, ouch!

    I wonder what drive manufacturer Apple will use on
    those 200gb drives? I'm pretty happy with my Seagate
    7200rpm 160gb, it's quiet as a mouse!
     
  12. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

    MacHiavelli

    Joined:
    May 17, 2007
    Location:
    new york
    #12
    Thanks to all, think I'll go for 2.6 and 7200 ... I'll only regret it if I don't.

    Cheers :D
     
  13. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2007
    #13
    I just put a 7200 replacement drive in an old Powerbook 12" and (combined with leopard), the thing runs like a brand new computer. The 7200 over previous 4200 made a huge difference.
     
  14. Smurfed macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2007
    #14
    What's making the delivery delayed to December..

    The 2.6ghz processor or the 200gb 7200 rpm hdd?
     
  15. cmaier macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #15
    I ordered 2.6 with the 5400 250GB and they are telling me shipment around November 22. So I'm guessing the drive is adding a week or two.
     
  16. mandoman macrumors 6502

    mandoman

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2005
    #16
    Adding either option adds 2-3weeks to the shipment.
     
  17. Jian001 Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    #17
    I concur with maximizing the RAM. Santa Rosa MPB 15' with 2.4ghz, 7200RPM and 4GB of RAM = amazing.
     
  18. galstaph macrumors 6502a

    galstaph

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    The Great White North Eh
    #18
    Not sure about the speed bump, but my 17 has the 250gb hd option, I didn't notice any difference perceptually between mine and my buddy's 17 with the 7200 hd, so I'd say capacity over speed. Definitly agree with more ram, 4gb is nice to have, I've never been at a lack of ram yet (I do 3d rendering in formz and autocad) plus 4gb is really cheap right now (currently 159 at owc) so don't let apple sell you theirs....
     
  19. raymate macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    UK / CA
    #19
    I was in the same position, I was going to order a 2.6 with the 200GB 7200 drive.

    But I grabbed a refurb 2.4 from the online Apple store and got myself a 200GB drive and will install it myself then use the old drive for timemachine.
     
  20. goranius macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    #20
    The simpel answer would be, YES! YES! YES!
     
  21. jameskohn macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2006
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #21
    Anybody have a ship date before 11/22 for 2.6 or 200gb MBP?

    I ordered a 15", 2.6ghz, 200gb MBP on Nov.1. The ship date has remained "by 11/22". Anybody else with either the 2.6ghz or the 200GB have a better/updated "ships by" date? I'm anxious to hear from somebody who has actually gotten their hands on one of these new configurations.

    Wait till January? Are you kidding me?
     
  22. goranius macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    #22
    :D My thoughts exactly
     

Share This Page