Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pie Chips Salad

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
I have been trying to decide between machines. I have think I decided on maybe the lower end 27 imac. I wanted to save a bit on the CPU and buy a pure ssd. I use my computer for Audio. But Im wondering...

Is the 2.9ghz i5 Quad core comparable to the 2.6 ghz i7 Quad core. I have searched the forums but Im a little confused by the results. I know that the i7 supports hyperthreading etc, but generally mobile cpu's are less powerful.

Are they about equal? The guy on the apple chat says he rekons the i5 has a bit more power.

Im thinking the 2.9 ghz i5 might be a nice cpu to go for. The cost increase between 2.9 ghz i5 and 3.2 is prob not worth it to me. I don't need a great deal of graphics power either.

What do you guys think?

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
I have been trying to decide between machines. I have think I decided on maybe the lower end 27 imac. I wanted to save a bit on the CPU and buy a pure ssd. I use my computer for Audio. But Im wondering...

Is the 2.9ghz i5 Quad core comparable to the 2.6 ghz i7 Quad core. I have searched the forums but Im a little confused by the results. I know that the i7 supports hyperthreading etc, but generally mobile cpu's are less powerful.

Are they about equal? The guy on the apple chat says he rekons the i5 has a bit more power.

Im thinking the 2.9 ghz i5 might be a nice cpu to go for. The cost increase between 2.9 ghz i5 and 3.2 is prob not worth it to me. I don't need a great deal of graphics power either.

What do you guys think?

The mobile i7 is way better and more power efficient for multi-thread work. With turbo-boost, even single-thread performance is on par with desktop i5. If you can stand integrated graphics, go with high-end Mac mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.