2.6 Ghz vs 2.7Ghz I7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beachguy, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I got into a discussion about the merits of the two I7 processors on MBPs that were announced recently. I bought a regular screen MBP with the 2.6 GHz because I didn't see the 2.7 Ghz being sufficiently more powerful to justify an additional $250 for it.

But, now I'm curious. Just how much difference is there? It seems like a very small bump, all things considered.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most users wouldn't notice any difference in performance between the two. Those that might, it wouldn't be much.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

you get slightly more cache on the higher end model, which should bump some video editing speeds as well. but overall, i don't think its worth it.

4. whdigital macrumors regular

This.... but only by maybe 10% or so and even then only in certain specific functions. 16GB RAM is going to be way more noticeable bump in a variety of ways at half the money. :)

5. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I got the 2.7GHz version. Why? Well, not for any technological or scientific reason. Primarily because I didn't want to deal with ordering online and waiting for a custom build, I wanted to go down to my local Apple store and get a new MBP with the antiglare display. The only version they carry with that screen is the 2.7GHz, 1TB HDD model. So, that's what I have. I was able to justify it since I get a discount (Basically covers the cost of sales tax).

I also have a habit of just buying the best spec if it's not insanely more expensive and generally includes upgrades I couldn't do myself, in this case the CPU and high-res antiglare display. The 1TB HDD...I'll find a use for it.

How many of you have bought something and later wished you had popped for the upgraded version?

How many of you have bought the upgraded version and wish you had gone with the cheaper one?

Granted, we're talking about 2.6GHz vs 2.7GHz here, and I initially had the 2.6GHz version with the standard glossy display but made the choice to swap it for the antiglare version since I didn't want to have any "I should've..." down the road. The 2.6GHz was plenty fast, I had no complaints, so all else being equal and the only difference being the 2.6 or 2.7 CPU and $250 I'd say save your money.

I would recommend the 2.6GHz in general as well over the 2.3GHz, you do get a bit of a bump in performance.

16GB upgrade for less than $150 is the best deal going, though. :D

6. b7a4 macrumors newbie

Yahooligan: 16GB ram upgrade? I thought these MBP were maxed at 8GB.

$150, was that through Apple with your discount, or did you buy the ram somewhere else?

7. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It's not big, 99% of users wouldn't notice. Unless the machine is being used to make money with CPU intensive tasks it's a waste. Those that it would apply to would likely be better served with a more powerful desktop anyways. I'd say it's for bragging rights more than anything else.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

Have you looked at Apple's website? It would be a good place to start.

9. bniu macrumors 6502a

Apple only certifies them to 8GB but in reality, the chipset is capable of taking up to 32GB...