2.6 mini to replace Dell XPS

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by TankTop, May 17, 2015.

1. TankTop macrumors newbie

So I have a 30lb paper weight also known as a 3 year old Dell XPS 7200. Through my company I can get a Mac Mini 2.6 or a Alienware X-51 base machine. I don't need it to do much, kids homework, music and videos as well as the occasional game of Minecraft. As both machines can handle that, I'm betting the Mini will do it for years to come. If anyone has something to add please let me know, if not I think the Mini gets my vote.

2. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

The 2.6 Mini with 8GB will be a fine long-term machine, other than the spinning hard drive. I highly recommend configuring it with a Fusion drive or SSD if possible, or planning for an after-purchase upgrade in the near future.

We had a base model 1.4 Mini and it was not even as fast as our seven-year-old (!) Dell. Upgraded to the Fusion drive model and it is a rocket that the whole family logs into. Minecraft and Roblox are definitely a part of that...

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The 2.6GHz Mac Mini will do, just spec it up with a 1TB FD and it'll fly.

4. TankTop thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I may as well get the 2.8, I'll have to pay the difference out of pocket but seems worth the money. A slightly better spec' processor and the SSD looks good on paper, a noisy 5400rpm HD would bug me.