2.6 or 2.7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maplingstorie, Oct 8, 2012.

1. maplingstorie, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

maplingstorie macrumors 6502

Hi guys. I've returned my 2.6 mbpr last week because it had the LG screen. Nevermind that, now the problem is should I get the 2.7 Ghz configuration over the 2.6Ghz? This will be my workstation and i'll be working mostly on Music Production/Film Scoring with EWQL samples and yes, 16GB is not an option. I'll be doing some video editing too. But now i'm stuck between 2.6 and 2.7. Also another concern is how is the battery life compared to 2.7? I've read in Engadget stating the 2.3 has 2 hours battery life longer than 2.6? Also I bought an applecare to go with hence another question, would it be better to for 2.7 to utilise the applecare fully when my logic board dies? Not to brag but my Alienware M17X has the 2.7 (i7-3820qm, they only had this configuration when it came out in my country so yeah). Amazingly, the cpu fan was super quiet even during games but I haven't tried video editing yet since I mainly use it for word processing and games. It'll be awkward if both my machines have the 2.7 lol. What should I do? :confused:

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If you want to go head.
    I personally think its waste of money.
    For over $250, 0.1GHz upgrade wont get you any far.
    There is literally no difference between them.

3. Electa macrumors member

No, there is no difference between the 2.6 and the 2.7, aside from meaningless benches.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Only go for the 2.7 if your software can take advantage of the 8Mb L3 cache, 2.6 & 2.3 have 6Mb L3 cache or it will likely be a waste of money, as the speed bump is insignificant.

If you are going to "pegging" out the CPU and your software takes advantage, then the 2.7 makes a lot of sense as you will recover the additional cost in productivity.

5. SpitUK macrumors 6502

SpitUK

If you can afford it and you do CPU intensive work then go for it.

6. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all for the generous replies. 2.6 it is then. :D now about the applecare, worth it? or not?

7. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Absolutely worth it, because apple computers most likely way of dying is logic board failure and apple care covers that

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Where are the people that keep saying you need 16gb RAM? The infamous "for future prove" and "get it if you can afford it".

Back to the point, I never bought any Apple Care because I never had any problem with my Apple product (knock on wood). But i think it's worth it.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

2.6 is the better choice, and I do recommend applecare as it will give you two more years of warranty - very much needed for laptops.

10. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555