2.6 vs 2.7 on current MBP 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clipsedsm95, Oct 21, 2013.

1. clipsedsm95 macrumors member

Hey guys so I am buying a used MBP with optical bay on ebay but wanted to know is there such a huge difference between the 2.6 model and 2.7 since there is such a huge price difference? I know the the cache bumps up from 6 to 8MB but is there really enough of a difference? I am looking at a 2.6 with regular screen for $1,299 and a 2.7 with Hi-Res Anti-glare for $1,975. My major uses are Photoshop Lightroom and iMovie. Reason I am not going for retina is because I use optical drive for data doubler and I have my Home folder on 2nd drive. Thank you in advanced.

2. Xerotech macrumors 6502

In terms of real-world performance you won't notice much of a difference. That's a huge price gap for a little performance.

Wouldn't Hi-RES matter to you if you're doing photoshop? Antiglare/Hi-Res would be the breaker in the deal for me and not the 2.6->2.7.

3. clipsedsm95 thread starter macrumors member

hmm your right. And yes it does but thought there might be something to the speed because at apple from 2.3 to 2.6 its $100 from 2.6 to 2.7 its $450! So thought there might be something to it. I might just try to make a deal with him to keep his SSD because i'm just putting my both my HD's in it.

4. bernhard macrumors member

Hi,

I got the 2.7GHz because the CPU has 2MB more Cache.
    May be relevant in some cases...

regards,
    Bernhard

5. clipsedsm95 thread starter macrumors member

I know this is such a noob question but what are the benefits for more cache

6. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Your computer may store data in the cache for quicker access. Apple bumps the price up on it because Intel has always been a monopoly in high performance. Their high-end models will always be substantially be more expensive. Another thing to check into when looking at CPUs is their amount of threads/virtual cores.

http://cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
    Performance based on real-world testing. As you can see, highest price doesn't necessarily mean the best.

7. clipsedsm95 thread starter macrumors member

I just finished googling it. Thank you very much

8. bernhard macrumors member

Cache is the fastest possible memory in a computer, so having more of it speeds things up as the data needs not to be fetched from RAM (which is quite fast, but not as fast as cache)

You may or may not see any benefits from having more cache, but I wanted the fastest possible CPU I could get hands on, mostly because I use the MBP for work.