2.66 GHz Mac Pro with major BT mouse lag. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bozz2006, Dec 28, 2008.

1. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Posted on apple forums too. want to maximize my possibilities for help. thanks for your input!

Hey folks. I have the 2006 version of the mac pro, and I have a Kensington Si670m bluetooth mouse. it's basically unusable because of the excessive amount of lag. the mouse just lags like crazy all the time. do you think this is an issue with the mouse? or with the bluetooth in my computer? i don't really know anyone else who uses a BT mouse to help me diagnose the problem, but the mouse works perfectly with my macbook... just doesn't work worth a crap with the mac pro. any help is MUCH appreciated! I paid like $50 for the mouse, i want to use the darn thing!

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Is it possible to upgrade the firmware in the mouse? or the drivers?

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

4. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

hmmmm. i have no idea. i kind of don't think the mouse is the problem, because it works perfectly with my macbook. but, i wonder how i would even download drivers for a mouse. ????

5. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Do you have wireless speakers/phones/other stuff in the area? Perhaps it's interference.

8. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

snowleopard2008 - i don't know what you mean by "repair"... what might i need to repair?

queshy - no other bluetooth stuff. i don't think it's interference.

anim8or - the behavior described in that article is the same behavior i'm experiencing! yikes! I will try to have a look inside the chassis. i'm a little squeamish about messing with such little wires and such. i am fairly proficient with computer work if i have a gameplan so hopefully i can do it. too bad i live so far away from an apple store

9. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Did you fix it yourself? or have someone at the apple store do it for you?

10. dk831 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. This was the solution. The antenna cables inside the Mac Pro were all mixed up causing poor Bluetooth reception and the laggy BT mouse problem. After I switched the antenna cables my Bluetooth mouse lag was fixed and the range was increased to normal range.

11. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

i did the fix. my cables were labeled differently than in the article, so i had to guess a little bit. all my wires were labled (1,2,3,BT). 2 and 3 were connected to airport and BT was connected to the bluetooth module. now, i have 1 and 3 hooked up to airport card, 2 hooked to bluetooth card, and the BT cable now unhooked. bluetooth works good, airport still kinda sucks. one room away from my N-router and iStumbler says my airport reception is ~50%. I don't know if I can expect much better than that though, what with the mac pro's aluminum case.

12. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Does anyone know if this is potentially still an issue with 2009 Mac Pros? I'm having problems with my Bluetooth mouse. I guess its worth having a look at the wiring (assuming it's still somewhat accessible).

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple insists it's interference. I think it's just poor antenna placement. Seriously though, the whole thing is aluminium except for the top.

14. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I've got a 2.66 MacPro 2006 and it always has had weak Wifi and BT even though the Apple Store installed the Wifi card for me. I gave up on the Mighty Mouse and wireless Apple wireless keyboard.

I brought it back to the Apple Store and they stuck it 1 foot from an Airport and declared the signal strength superb. Not a fair test I think. The new Airport Extreme (recently installed at home) improved my signal BTW.

Note the new Magic Mouse actually worked better than my Mighty Mouse for the short time I used it with the 2.66 MacPro. Some have said the software for the MM actually fixed some issues for a lot of BT devices. Give that a try.

15. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I just had a look inside the Mac Pro... on my 2009, the BT module is on the lower rear portion of the main board and the antenna wire is the only connection available (no way to confuse the wires with the wifi module which is near the front).

Unplugging and plugging in the connectors hasn't helped.

Even using the BT mouse near the lower rear of the case where the antenna appears to be doesn't really improve the situation.

I will try the new magic mouse and then get the Mac Pro serviced if this continues.