2.66 or 2.93 that is the question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by raw911, Mar 3, 2009.

1. raw911 macrumors regular

I am considering selling my mac pro 2x3ghz dual core and going to the new MP ... i do a lot of video editing and photography work and looking for some feed back on would the 2.66 be enough or just swing for the fence and go 2.93 [both 8 cores] ... all feed back is certainly welcome .. also confused about the video card ... looking at the 4870 .. now i have 2 30in displays would that card support both using dvi or do i need that dual mini adapter?

or maybe i should ask is anyone getting the 8 core 2.66 rather than the 8 core 2.93 and why?

well i guess my question is answered ,... thanks all .. :rolleyes:

2. Fomaphone macrumors regular

i went with the 2.66 because the extra money wasn't worth the jump to 2.93... 10% clock boost for a thousand dollars?

i use my computer very heavily, and i know i'll miss that extra power on 10 hour renders... but honestly, i won't care on 10 minute renders, which are a lot more common.

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Asside from mem capacity limit, what would be the hit between the 2.6 - 8 core vs the single 2.9 quad core system?

4. The Ditch macrumors newbie

I'm going with the octo 2.93, though price really isn't an issue with me. If price were an issue I could see going with the lesser chip.

5. sjivan macrumors member

Just wondering if you do think that the 2.26 --> 2.66 upgrade is worth it. After all it is $1400 more. Do you not think 2.26 is fast enough?

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Wait for benchmarks of the 2.26GHz parts if you can.

7. gilroykilroy macrumors newbie

Looks like one display will connect directly to DVI and the second will need the adapter.

8. raw911 thread starter macrumors regular

ok but cant u just use the $29 if its just for one display? why are they saying you have to get the dual adapter for $99? :confused:

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What is your display?

10. deze macrumors member

deze

Well, I will continue to use my quad G5 2.5 until we see either a bump and Snow Leopard (later this year) or perhaps some excellent benchmarks on the the new models.

Everything seems a little premature at the moment IMO

11. gilroykilroy macrumors newbie

Not if you want to get full resolution on a larger (say 30") display. Those are dual link. I have just one ;) Dell 30" so I am ok. If I had two I would need the dual link adapter (plus a very good excuse for the Mrs. as to why I had TWO 30" monitors and she had none....)