2.66 or 2.93GHz UMBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maccho, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Maccho macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm considering a UMBP, but don't know whether 2.66 and 2.93 proccessors speeds make much a difference.

Ok, yeah I know, depends what I'm doin with the Mac, well, planning on doing all my 3D modeling, animating and rendering on it.

So, would the 2.93 really make a difference?

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I would go with the 2.66 to save some $$. But the processor speed is much better and I think you might be able to tell a small difference.

And remember to search before you start a thread. I remember seeing a thread very similar to this about a week ago.

3. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Faster = Better = More Expensive.

How rich are you feeling?

Simple really, if it's your job then I'd spring for the faster processor, but if it's just a more fun based decision... refer to question above.

4. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

2.66 or 2.93

If you can, go with the 2.93 (or look for a refurb unibody 2.8--there were several at the apple store online). For laptops, I always get the fastest option--they tend to get obsolete quickly.

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

the 2.93 GHz sounds awesome. Only thing is when it comes to resale value..you'll take a bigger hit.

Can someone please kindly point me to the previous thread on this topic? I can't seen to find it with mroogle

6. MCHR macrumors regular

without seeing (or witnessing for that matter) the benchmarks of what softwares you will be using, and how much of your workweek is using those apps, it's almost impossible to tell what any cost vs. performance gain you would see.

If you're working a 40 hour week, and a 30-40 minute gain in performance is worth it, the 2.93, especially if you write off the expense of the machine. If you're not dealing with margins that tight, save a few bucks, and go with the 2.66.

I'm in the same boat, and considering a 2.66, since I can write it off. I'm also considering the savings I'd see by getting a 2008 MP and rolling that into upgrades.

7. kabunaru Guest

8. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

take the 2.66 and get the SSD instead....it's a better option in day to day computing.