2.66 Quad Mac Pro gone from Best Buy's website.....does this mean something?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dcpmark, Oct 25, 2009.

1. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

2. frimple macrumors 6502

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Either they decided to temporarily remove it, or possibly the sales weren't stellar, and decided to cut it IMO.

So I wouldn't go reading too much into it. ;) The next model won't be out for awhile (2010, March at the earliest, as Apple seems to have made arrangements with Intel to get the chips early; Gulftown officially scheduled as Q2 2010 otherwise as it stands).

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...no, it doesn't. Best Buy's website is awful in accuracy terms.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

I usually don't use Best Buy if at all possible. But I definitely wouldn't look at it as some indication that Apple's changed their product line up, especially if it's not been announced anywhere (a reliable news site, and usually citing Apple as the source of the information). ;)

6. dcpmark thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought of all those possibilities, but nothing made sense. If they were "sold out online" for weeks prior to this recent change (at least that's what the web page said), why not keep selling the Mac Pro units that were moving? And why not keep the unit on the web page? If they are cutting Mac Pros, why would they cut the cheaper, better-selling Mac Pro and keep selling the more expensive one that's obviously not selling as well?

Oh well....I trust you guys when you say that it doesn't mean a new unit soon.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

It could come back to thegoldenmackid's post, that Best Buy's site isn't even accurate most times.

Or it could be that Apple has increased the prices they charge Best Buy, reducing the margins to a point Best Buy decided not to place another order. Hard to say really, but I don't take their site as an indicator for new models.

The simple answer is, there's no new chips out yet, and if they were going to offer faster parts (speed bumps, even if just an option), they'd have done so before now. But given the pricing on a faster option would be hideous, and faster parts in the base would mean Apple's decided to reduce their margins (which they don't really seem to be interested on the MP line at least). And at an average 36% margin, I don't see that as "low" anyway. :eek: :p