2.66 quad or 2.26 8 core

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rich2k4, Jul 6, 2009.

1. rich2k4 macrumors regular

ok, if i want a computer that will last me AT LEAST 6 years or more, and i DO NOT use any heavy programs like final cut, etc which would be the best to get?

i do not like the imac all in one design, and the mac mini is not good enough to me. I want to know i have a computer that i can throw anything at it, and it will not break a sweat.

i currently use a pentium 3 800 mhz with 380 mb of ram. which i bought around 9 years ago. at the time, it was one of the top of the line models. this should give you an idea of how i am able to use computers until they pretty much are close to dieing.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It'll be cheaper to buy new Mini every few years than getting a MP now. 6 years is so long time in technology, we don't know what is going to happen. Mini will likely outperform current MP in 3 years. Have you ever heard of selling things? Buy Mini now, sell it for 200$ after three years and get new Mini for 300$

3. rich2k4 thread starter macrumors regular

4. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

With a response like that, you're not gonna get much help here with that attitude. He was just giving his recommendation as to saving you a ton of money since you will never use all the power the Mac Pro has to offer. $3000-$4000 is way overkill for the limited computing power you actually need. If you insist on getting a Mac Pro, I would go with the lowest powered processor available since anything more would really just be overkill.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I know you don't want Mini, but it's underrated. You said you're not running any heavy apps so why to get 3000$ Mac Pro? G5 PowerMacs are ~4 years old, I think, but any current Mac will outperform them. There's no reason to get an expensive machine if you're not using it power. I really don't understand your point. I would buy Mini now -> sell it when new one comes out -> buy new one. So many people here in MR have bought G4 Mac and sold it and they are running the newest ones right now, without paying any extra.

6. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I agree that a Mac Mini is actually a really good choice.

My primary machine is a MacBook Pro but I'm seriously considering buying a Mac Mini too. I also don't do any high end work and a Mac Mini is quite powerful enough for everyday / non-pro Apps.

I'd go ahead an buy a Mac Mini with Apple Care - when Apple Care finishes, buy another Mac Mini. ;)

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I highly doubt there will be an 8 core mini in a decade not even to mention 3 years

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Cores aren't everything! 32nm processing technique is around corner and new "Nehalem technology" is coming in 2011 as well as 22nm likely in 2012. By 2012 Mini is a beast compared to current MP

9. akbc macrumors 6502

If pentium 3 with that much RAM can serve you well right now, I really don't see why Mac Mini won't be enough for you. (Can it even run YouTube properly?)
    The current Mac Mini is a monster compared to your P3 PC. Equipped with DDR3 Memories, 9400m Graphics chip, latest C2D mobile processors and stuff.

Any Mac Pro with an intel chip that was ever made is a huge overkill for you, but if you really really want a Mac Pro, go for a refurb on the Apple site, cheapest one possible. That will last you another 6-7 years, looking at your history.

Mac Mini is a little BEAST for its size... It's so underrated.

But oh well, it's your money... Just get the 8-Core Nehalem Mac Pro and be sure to get the GTX 285, 4TB Hard Drive & 32GB of Memory. That can probably last YOU for like 13 years.

10. Apple //e macrumors 6502

i had a p3 800 also. also bought it state of the art. one year later i bumped it to a 1000eb. six months later i got a new computer. i kept the 800 as a family hand me down and recently sold the parts

what people are trying to tell you is the mac mini is more than good enough for you. based on what youre telling us, it makes more sense for you to buy an entry level machine every one or two years. you will always have modern technology and not spend as much

but a short answer to your question: 8 core

my suggestion: get a p3 1000 upgrade and 512mb ram for a 20% speed increase!

;-)

11. morphin1 macrumors newbie

Go for the Quad although I would strongly recommend an IMAC.
    Octa core actually under performs in single apps as opposed to quad core.
    Also 6years in today's time is tooooo long for tech. Every year I buy a PC worth $3000 and think that it will last me 2-3years and I am proven wrong(with the annual buy) hehe.
    For your needs even an IMac or MacBook pro should suffice otherwise just go for the following:
    Mac Pro Quad core 3.2, 16 GB RAM,GTX 285,4 1TB WD Black drives and that should set you or
    Mac Pro Octa core 2.93 GHZ,32GB RAM,GTX,WD Black's and you should be set.
    Cheers and enjoy your MAC :)

12. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If that computer serves your needs, just get a mini or an imac. Get either with 3 year applecare and you could replace that twice within the warranty timeframe and be good for 6 years at less thancost of a mac pro.

If you do feel the need for a mac pro, go for the quad. Seems like you aren't using anything that will utilize multiple cores, nor have the need to run different processes that a 8 core would be needed.

13. opera57 macrumors 6502

Personally in your position I would go for the quad. If your apps aren't multithreaded they will run slower on the octo, and from what you say.. about not being a power user, you wouldn't take advantage of the 8 cores, let alone 4! Its definately a good machine for being future proof though! I have an iMac and at times I wish I had a mac pro! [​IMG]