2.66ghz 13" C2D - Logic Studio

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marcnotrust, Jan 3, 2011.

1. marcnotrust macrumors member

Im going to be getting the 2.66ghz 13" C2D in the next week or two and was just wondering how this will fair with Logic Studio. Prob going to have the 13" for 12 to 18 months until I can upgrade to one of the better 15" range so need to be able to rely on it as Im looking at doing a fair bit of recording on it.

Ill be upgrading the ram to 8gb and will be getting a Firewire external HDD to save the songs on etc.

Cheers,
    Marc

2. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

Well I use my 2ghz mac mini in my home studio all the time. Thats a C2D but a slower ram buss than the current macs. It does just fine recording 5 or 6 mics at once, playing softsynths etc.
    I would look into getting a 7.2k drive if you plan on doing a lot with Logic though. It makes a huge difference when browsing for sounds as well as when recording.

3. DaftZombie macrumors member

I run Logic 9 on my 2 month old 2.4ghz 13" and it works great. When I've got a good few tracks running it usually there's usually 40-50% CPU sitting idle. BTW I'm usually fine with the 4gigs of RAM in mine unless I've been working all day with out restarting. More doesn't equal faster. An SSD would be sweet, or a 7200 RPM HD like mentioned above. You can get a decent 500GB one in the ~70 dollar range.

Also consider an external monitor if you haven't, becomes a pain working a bunch of tracks on such a small screen after a while (by that I mean 10 minutes).

4. marcnotrust thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, Thanks for the reply guys.

The only reason I will be putting the 8gb RAM in is that I will be using some Cisco Router Emulation software which will takes up alot of RAM, so getting the 8gb for that mainly.

Thanks again,
    Marc

5. BigMoo macrumors member

I also have the base model 13" mbp and i run logic 9 just fine on it, but i do also have it hooked up to an external monitor.

6. newdeal macrumors 68020

To me save the money and get the 2.4ghz...I think the 2.66 is like $300 extra and other than a slightly larger harddrive which you could upgrade yourself for far less there isn't really anything else you get for the money

7. marcnotrust thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ye was thinking that.

8. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, get the 2.4 and use the saved cash for the 8GB and get a momentus xt hybrid 500GB HD

9. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

Agree...that is like a 10% difference in clock speed and a hard drive you will probably upgrade anyway.
    I bought the base model 15" a month ago for that reason.

Also Logic is easy to get a lot of tracks out of if you are stingy with plug ins and make you r own templates instead of using Apple's. There is no reason to have an EQ, Compressor, delay etc on every single track. Most Softsynths come with built in effects and EQ these days.

@Marcnotrust, you looking at the CCNA cert or just writing configs for reouters? Of course you know the Mac has amazing networking tools like a port scanner and VLAN-ing built in right?