2.66GHz MacBook Pro or 3.06GHz iMac??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marddin, Mar 13, 2009.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

I am a senior in high school about to go into graphic design at the University of North Texas and my 13" white MacBook just isn't cutting it, plus I've had it for over 2 years now so its getting quite old, and obsolete for that matter.

I'm looking to purchase a new Mac once the educational discounts start up but I cannot decide what to get.

I'm not sure if I should go portable and get the MBP or get a nice iMac to sit on my apt room desk.

Uses for the new Mac will include intense work in Adobe Creative Suite 4, Final Cut, and animation rendering, plus some personal use of course.

Any opinions or comments will be appreciated. Thank you

2. rupnok macrumors member

Unless portability is a consideration (and given you're a college student - it may be), I'd say pick up one of the refurb 3.06 for 1599.

Two reasons:
    8800 graphics card is way more powerful than the 2600/2800 combo in the MacBookPro

IPS LCD monitor gives much better color reproduction than the LN TFT LCD in the MacBook.

3. Igantius macrumors 65816

If you're not sure about portability, then I'm guessing this isn't really a factor for you.

I know that you could use an external screen with the MBP, but the iMac's 24" screen will be delight after the MB's!

Barefeats have a few benchmarks that include a late '08 and the top iMac from that time - worth a look.

If I was in your position, I would get the iMac for my main work and keep the MB for my portable needs.

4. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not that it isn't a factor. Yes, bringing my new MBP along campus to all my classes would be a plus but then again, having a twice as powerful desktop computer would be awesome aswell. All i ask is for your personal opinion as if you were in my shoes.

Thanks again for the replies.

5. Colin20 macrumors regular

Since you're in uni look into getting the student ADC discount on the iMac. Good savings there if you're looking to do some developing.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you don't need to sell your MacBook to pay for the replacement, why not keep hold of that for taking to class and have a nice new iMac on your desk at home.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

there's your answer! The macbook is still plenty good enough for note-taking or casual surfing/email, etc. Then you have the large and powerful imac back in your room. Best of both worlds.