2.66Ghz or 2.8Ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hobes270, Sep 23, 2009.

1. hobes270 macrumors regular

I am buying a 17" to use with the Adobe Cs4 products. I will also be using final cut studio on occasion. Is that upgrade from 2.66 to 2.8 worth another $200? Will i notice a difference?

Thanks!

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

For a 140MHz speed increase? :eek:

You won't notice anything. Neither will your apps.

Go for more RAM instead...

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

2667Mhz vs 2800Mhz. 5%. Old overclocker's wisdom says anything less than 10% is pretty much unnoticeable. Not worth it, IMO.

Word of advice: CPU bin upgrades are rarely ever worth the cost. It's best to just grab one a low-clocked model of the current micro-arch, and leave it at that.

5. Buzz Bumble Guest

Both of the above replies are correct. Depsite being about half the speed of my beige G3 PowerMac, the 0.14GHz speed difference won't be noticeable ... you might save a minute or two on the export times of VERY LONG movies in Final Cut, but then saving two minutes on say a 20 hour export isn't really worth bothering about.

Which model you buy may of course depend on what else you're getting for the extra money (more RAM? bigger hard drive?) if anything.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

You probably won't notice much different but like anything else, if you have the ends then get the faster one.