2.66ghz vs 2.66ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wasd, Jun 10, 2009.

1. wasd macrumors member

I currently own the unibody macbook pro with the 2.66ghz with 6MB L2cache from the previous edition. The new unibody macbook pro that just came out two days ago has the 2.66ghz at 3MB L2 cache. Is it still the same processor and most importantly is there any significance changes in terms of performance...speed wise?

Thank you

2. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

if it has different cache then its not the same processor.
    the lower cache will result in lower performance
    but some tasks will not take as big a hit as others.

3. jck1634 macrumors regular

jck1634

Its not really a fair comparison. The new 2.66GHz is just an upgraded version of the old 2.4GHZ which at the time was the low end MacBook Pro. If you want to compare, you should compare it to the new 2.8GHz. As I understand it, everything is the same apart from the extra 440MHz, an internal battery, and an SD card slot in place of an Expresscard slot.

Each one has its pros and cons, but I think being able change the hard drive yourself easily, is in my opinion, ultimately the best reason to own the version that came out in March.

4. nws0291 macrumors 6502

They also upgraded the screen and HD space from the previous 2.66 model. Also dropped the price quite a bit. I will be exchanging my uMBP for the new one. The hard drive is still easily replaced.