2.6Ghz or 7200 RPM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Josheua, Nov 13, 2007.

  1. Josheua macrumors regular

    Nov 2, 2007
    United States
    Guys, i am considering purchasing my macbook pro for x-mas and just forget abou the january upgrades, but i was wondering. If I can only pick on of the upgrades on the 15.4 inch pro, which should I pick. The 2.6 ghz processor or the 7200 RPM hardrive. Basically, what will give me more bang for my buck?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. blammy macrumors newbie

    Nov 9, 2007
    In my opinion, the difference between the 2.4 and the 2.6 is not nearly as big as the difference between the 5400rpm and 7200rpm hard drive.

    But that's just me.
  3. emac82 macrumors 6502

    Feb 17, 2007
    NB, Canada
    I agree...
  4. sunfast macrumors 68020


    Oct 14, 2005
    I'd normally say go for the processor upgrade as you can't change that later (unlike HDD) but as everybody else says 2.4 -> 2.6 will be less noticeable than the faster HDD.
  5. jbstew32 macrumors regular

    Jan 15, 2007
    i'd go the cpu route and get the cheapest HD/RAM option and upgrade them manually. Then you get the best of everything!
  6. Squonk macrumors 65816


    Mar 15, 2005
    I'd lean toward the angle of upgrade now what cannot be upgraded later. But from a performance immediately standpoint, the hard drive is the bottleneck to performance and a faster drive will be felt in 100% of your system operations. 7200/5400 = 33% hard drive performance increase (theoretical).

    The only "rocking chair" test question is will you ever look back and wish you had the 2.6GHz processor? 2.6/2.4 = 8.3% CPU performance increase(theoretical).

    How will you use your MBP? Will it be CPU bound or IO bound? That answers your question. For me, I'll be IO bound working with iPhoto.

  7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020


    Jun 19, 2007
    mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
    Very nice post Squonk :) I tend to agree - the CPU while not a huge leap in performance can NOT be upgraded, so you are stuck with the CPU you choose. Personally the difference is not enough for me so the 2.6 is a waste of money for ME. I can not live without a 7200 RPM drive though... it is a big difference in speed IMO.
  8. amoda macrumors 6502a

    Aug 9, 2006
    Okay, I'm sorry, I know you said to ignore Jan updates but I simply can't.

    Christmas= Dec 25 (Well Jan 7 for us Orthodox Copts :p)
    Macworld 08=Jan 14-18

    I know it's hard but waiting those three weeks will probably nullify your dilemma. Odds are that in Macworld the 2.6 will be standard on the "super" 15.4 MBP, which you need in order to have the option to upgrade to 2.6 anyways. So waiting those three weeks can get you the 2.6 &, if you wish, the 7200RPM drive! That's also assuming that nothing else changes.

    I really recommend waiting those 3 weeks, unless you need the laptop, so that you don't smack yourself in the head later saying
    "why oh why didn't I wait". Anyways, if you NEED it or simply don't want to wait....i recommend the 7200RPM over the 2.6.


Share This Page