2.6GHz rMBP or 2.4GHz with AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Encelade, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Encelade macrumors newbie

Hey there.
    I'm new here, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong section.

I'm a high school senior and about to buy my first macbook.
    I was planning to get a 13-inches macbook pro retina with 256 g, but when I was at the reseller, the vendor suggested something else, so now I have the choice between two things : either I get the brand-new mid-2014 rMBP that I was originally planning to, or I get a late-2013 rMBP for about the same price. The difference is that if I get this last one, it will have 2.4 gHz and applecare for free, and it's the floor model, so this means that random people touched the machine for about a month (even though the guy sprayed and cleaned it before putting it back into the box for sale, I'm still paranoid).
    So... which one should I get ? I know that applecare has a lot of benefits, but I wasn't gonna get it in the first place, considering that the legal warranty here in Europe is 2 years, though the second year only covers Apple's mistakes and it doesn't have all of applecare's perks.
    I'll mainly be using the computer for browsing the internet, writing, editing pictures (with Photoshop), digital painting, and for some 3D editing softwares and a bit of gaming. There's also a good chance that I'll be studying journalism, film or computer graphics/animation, so I'll use heavy video editing and 3D programs.

What do you suggest ? Thanks for your help ! :)

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

15 inch seems more suited.

I would reccomend you wait until you know about your course.

The 15 inch version with the 750M dGPU, will be much better for animation heavy video editing and 3D programs.

At that stage an Imac will be a much better bang for your buck though.

3. Encelade thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying.

I'm buying a macbook now because doing anything with my actual computer is impossible or takes ages. I cannot open a file without something going wrong, I can't use any games or programs and when browsing the internet, I sit in front on the tv to wait for the next page to load. My computer is like a five years old grandpa, he's burning hot and he's a loud as a lawnmower. Sooo, yeah, I need a new one now, I really don't want to wait a year.

My dad suggested that I get a cheap one now and wait to know my course but time goes by quickly and to me, it's a waste of money.
    I go around quite a lot and I'd like to take my comp to school, so it can't be anything but a macbook, though an iMac would be great. :/
    And I figured, if I need a bigger screen or a better computer for schoolwork, I can either buy an external monitor for not too expensive or just use one of the school's computers (I think they have Imacs ?). Besides, I can't afford a 15-inches. :s

4. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

I would wait for the course, the Applecare however will be helpful incase something goes wrong with the computer within three years but you have one year to purchase apple care after you purchase your computer so If you can afford applecare a year down the road then the 2.6 may be the better option.

----------

I personally do not like Floor Model units, who knows what people do with them, I personally would go for the Brand New 2014 model or get a Refurbished one from Apple