2.6ghz to 3.0ghz...worth $700+

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by illegalprelude, Sep 30, 2007.

  1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

    illegalprelude

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2005
    Location:
    Los Angeles, California
    #1
    Hey guys and gals, a question for you, im slowing starting to eye a BigMac again and I had a question for you.

    Do you think going from the 2.6ghz to the 3.0ghz is worth the extra $700? The things I do is everyday stuff (lots of iPhoto and music) but more so, i do editing jobs (although my current G5 is fine, i feel like with iWeb and iPhoto 08, its starting to feel slugish and with Final Cut Studio, rendering can take forever).

    So far, my G5 is on year 4 and over all, the machine is being a beast but im the person who would rather pay more now so ill be happier for a longer time but having said that, I dont wanna burn cash either if it dosent merit it. So that brings us to the idea of is .4ghz difference really worth the cost? Both short term performance and long term.
     
  2. disconap macrumors 68000

    disconap

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2005
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #2
    When I bought my G4 (second generation, Sawtooth era), I spoke with a tech at my old job, and he explained it like this (note that the options were 400mHz, 450mHz, and 500mHz):

    "The difference between 400mHz and 500mHz is the same as 40mHz to 50mHz. It's 20%, and it will always be 20%."

    So even though the numbers SEEM big, the real difference is around 15%. Chances are that, for the average user, you're not going to notice any difference until you're at a point where you'd want to replace either system anyway. High end machines are really for people who are going to be working the hell out of them, like movie studios and scientists...
     
  3. Multimedia macrumors 603

    Multimedia

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2001
    Location:
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    #3
    No and Wait For The 8 Core

    Not worth it. If you must buy one now buy a 2.66 refurb @ $2199. But the new ones are coming out in little more than a month.
     
  4. disconap macrumors 68000

    disconap

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2005
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #4
    Also, as you mentioned doing Final Cut work, investing that $700 in a decent RAID setup (if you don't already have one) will pay off a lot more than the extra 15% processing power.
     
  5. bld44 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2007
    #5
    I'd go with the 2.66 and spend the money on ram and HDs. Pricey for the small speed difference, when you can spend that money elsewhere.

    Don't listen to the whole 'new ones are coming next week' scheme. If you need it, or want it now, go for it.
     
  6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #6
    I'd wait. The OP still has a G5 to make due with in the meantime. These mac pros are over a year old with no updates or price drops.
     
  7. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #7
    I don't see how letting someone know the Mac Pro is outdated and may be updated soon is a scheme. Not to mention, no one said "next week," instead you injected that to make the claim sound absurd. So who is it with the scheme.

    OP, it is not worth it to go with the $700 upgrade. In fact, the Mac Pro is outdated I would recommend not buying one. Of course if you need it or have to have it now, go for it. There should be some good stuff around the corner though, so buy with caution.
     
  8. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

    illegalprelude

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2005
    Location:
    Los Angeles, California
    #8
    thanks for the input so far! :)

    as far as goes, the earliest I would be buying is after Leopard and yea, i keep hearing rumors of new machines....so as it is, im in no hurry to buy anything, just doing some research because once the next gen editions come out, this question will still hold water but you guys also feel like the extra $700 is best spent else where or parked in the bank huh?

    Because either way, ill be upgrading to 3GB ram or 4GB (not through Apple though) and getting some extra hard drives and such.

    But even in terms of long gevity, you guys dont feel like the .4ghz or 15% speed increase is something your going to notice huh?

    cause ill be jumping from a single core 1.6ghz G5 :D and like i said for almost everything, its really fine and for the average person, its still more then enough of a machine but i tend to expect a tad more out of my comps.
     
  9. disconap macrumors 68000

    disconap

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2005
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #9
    The jump from your machine to the low or mid end Mac Pro will be more than noticeable. Personally, I'd say that money is better spent elsewhere (or saved). But it's really up to you, it all depends on what makes you happiest ultimately; if you feel like you'll regret not spending that $700, then by all means spend it. It just seems unnecessary to me...
     
  10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #10
    keep in mind the new ones may come out after leopard. if so, do you want to chnace it that your software may be broken? just a thought
     
  11. disconap macrumors 68000

    disconap

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2005
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #11
    Sorry, I was going to ignore this, but I have to know what you meant...
     
  12. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

    RedDragon870503

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    #12
    Agreed.
     
  13. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

    illegalprelude

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2005
    Location:
    Los Angeles, California
    #13
    Yea, while patience is not my virtue, that is my feeling to in regards that indeed, I do have a fully functional unit and id hate to get this, just to have something new come out in 2 weeks of it (its what happened with this baby, it was my first mac, after i got it, the following Tuesday "Dual Core G5's")......I died a little inside lol

    im not sure what you mean by this

    So brings me to the point of, you feel that even for everyday stuff, there should be a nice bump in performance?
     
  14. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #14
    Of course you'll feel a slight bump in performance, but lets just be smart about this decision.

    I bought my Mac Pro back in June, and I thought I was kinda stupid for doing it because the Mac Pro was coming up on its 1 year anniversary and it was on the verge of some updates. WWDC would end up bringing no updates so I went ahead and bought the Quad 2.66. The Quad 2.66 is the fastest Macintosh I've ever used, NO doubt, it just sucks that there could be something better down the road, and not so far away.

    It is October, and the Mac Pro updates haven't come yet. WAIT patiently, and you will get a OCTO Mac Pro with Leopard.

    It is not worth it to buy now, you'll be kicking yourself if you buy now.
     
  15. disconap macrumors 68000

    disconap

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2005
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #15
    Absolutely. No matter what you get, it will be a next-gen machine, so you will notice better performance in most areas, especially once Leopard comes out.

    That said, I would likely wait were it my money, but then I tend to make huge jumps in generations of computers (I went from a performa 6200 to a G4 Sawtooth 400mHz, then from that to this dual 2.0gHz G5; I was going to skip G5 altogether as I'd modded my G4 quite well, but my roommate sold me his cheap). I'll probably wait another 2 years before replacing the G5.

    My general philosophy is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you need a new computer, get one; if you don't, wait. :)
     
  16. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

    Wild-Bill

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    bleep
    #16
    Abso-frickin-lutely !!!!!!!!!!!!

    WAIT! :apple:
     
  17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #17
    oh haha. i meant leopard may break some programs you use currently in tiger (as in may not work). hope that's better to understand
     

Share This Page