2.7/16GB/512GB/455

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blairian89, Dec 12, 2016.

1. blairian89, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

blairian89 macrumors regular

blairian89

I just picked up this model in Space Gray.

I also have a 2.9/16GB/1TB/460 in Silver, which is my main powerhouse for work and school.

What are your thoughts on this model? Think it will serve me well for home use for the next five plus (5+) years?

Web browsing, e-mailing, photo editing and video editing at home that is separate from work is what it will spend its life doing.

2. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

Why do you need two 15-inch MacBook Pros?

3. richinaus macrumors 6502a

it's not exactly that different from the 'main powerhouse'.

odd why you would need two though, unless you are leaving it at work, and want a separate work and home computer. I do this - it seems fine if you are an employee, but if you are running your own business it seems odd for no real reason except you can specify your work comp exactly as you want it.

Personally I would look at a 15" for work stuff and a 13" for home, as much better on the sofa, bed etc. The 15" is not a good home computer for me - too unwieldy, but fantastic for work.

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Don't see the point of 2x 15 models to be honest.

Get a 12 or 13 if you need a second machine for some reason.

So the obvious, tell is the intended use and why you have 2 and you will get some constructive feedback

5. blairian89, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

blairian89 thread starter macrumors regular

blairian89

Why do you need two nostrils? Why do you need two testes? Why do you need two thumbs?

The answer here is the same...why not? Seems to work for a reason.

That being said, can I expect for this one to work for five or more years into the future as my home machine?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 12, 2016 ---
    I do leave one at work for the most part and travel with it as well when I go out of town. This second one is replacing an aging Windows laptop, which is on its last legs.

I see your point on the 13", but I am a bit of human giant and I felt like the 13" was too small in terms of the footprint for my use at home. I do prefer the capabilities that the quad-core processor provides.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 12, 2016 ---
    Fair enough; intended use is for web browsing, streaming, e-mail, photo editing and video editing that is separate from work. I am a bit of a human giant and I feel like the 13" is a bit small for uses; coupled with lower battery life. I also prefer the larger screen size and better potential battery life. All of that being said, can I expect this machine to last me for five or more years?

6. kave macrumors regular

I think the hassle of keeping two computers up to date with each other makes it not worth it.
    Sell one and get a Macbook if you need two.

7. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Em, first of all, having two thumbs and testicles and nostrils is not a "why not thing", they are an important part of how your body functions (even the nostrils, as someone who has some issues with one nostril, I can tell you - you can definitely find good use for both of them). Your comparison is, well, almost insulting to people with physical challenges. We don't have organs and limbs "because why not". We have them because they are part of our lives.

Second - what most people here probably mean but are to polite to say it: two thumbs or nostrils is not a waste of money. Of course, nothing wrong with having that much money so that you can afford two of the most expensive laptops on the planet just for the heck of it - but you surely realize it does seem a bit like flaunting. Especially since you're still at school, so I'm guessing it's not a business investment or anything.

Anyway, I don't know your story or who you are, and it's not my place to judge, I'm just saying what impression your post leaves.

8. pika2000 macrumors 68030

You mentioned video, so max it out with 2TB if you want your Mac to last longer.

9. ManuCH macrumors 6502

In my opinion, the 2.7/16GB/512GB/455 config you mention can last 5 years.

However, I'd probably upgrade it to 1 TB to make sure you don't run out of disk space. In my experience, it was the main factor that I found to be "restricting" while years pass, but YMMV.

FYI, I have a 2.9/16GB/1TB/455 as my main computer (at my desk, which will soon be accompanied by a 5K Ultrafine display), and a 2015 rMB 12" as my secondary computer that I use on the sofa or while travelling (by train, for my work commute).

10. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

You can say it - he sounds like a petulant brat.

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Fair enough. As a big guy, the new MacBook feels more like a air, from experience, I'd suggest 1x 2016 and 1x 2015 machine , the 2015 machine refurb will get you a better battery better CPU and no need for dongles on the move. So use that as the mobile one, as size is not an issue and battery life is. Though buy refurb.

So just throwing that out there .

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It will last exactly as long as the other spec I expect, future proofing in technology is myth...,

Other than that anyone who can afford to buy two of these machines is surely buying an updated one next year anyway!!

13. blairian89, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016

blairian89 thread starter macrumors regular

blairian89

That would still give me two computers to update; most of my work and school files are in the cloud (Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.) so the important stuff is automatically synced so long as I have an internet connection. The MacBook is so darned small to me though that I feel like I would never use it or I wouldn't enjoy using it. To me it's an iPad with a keyboard attached.

I keep stuff that I am not messing with on external storage; way cheaper price per GB and easy to transfer between computers. Internal storage space is a minor consideration for me and quite frankly I feel like Apple is almost gouging for internal storage.

My work and school computer is pretty well the same as yours; just a 460 instead of a 455. I agree that storage capacity has always been the limiting factor for me...at least until age and component failure takes over.

I am a little old to be a brat - just your general run of the mill ******.

I had the same experience when I went into the Apple Store. I glanced at all the tables and asked where the new MacBook Pros were and I was shocked. They are so thin I thought that they were the Air at first glance. I considered purchasing a 2015, but for the same price I was getting an outdated model and dimmer screen - all of this for a little better processing power (2.7 vs. 2.8) but then I would be losing out on a dGPU, which I felt was way more detrimental for my uses.

You are correct on this one. I will use my work and school machine for a couple of years and upgrade to whatever the latest offering is. The home machine will be used until its' death.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2016 ---
    You're entitled to your opinions just as I am. Blame the whiskey I was enjoying if you want to justify my thoughts and opinions.

For the record I am in my late twenties, employed full-time in the oil and gas industry and I attend school full-time. What can I say? Younger and even dumber me never did see the value of an education, so here I am doing it the hard way. I seem to enjoy things that way. The work machine is a business write-off and more than pays for itself. The home machine is replacing an aging and dying Windows machine that is more trouble than its' worth. I also got 24 months of interest-free financing for it so it's not like I am just throwing down $8,000 at once for a couple of computers.

It's not meant to be flaunting; it's a genuine question. I am a pretty new Mac owner and I want to know if I can expect it to last at least five or more years and if it will be powerful enough for my purposes so that I do not feel like it needs to be replaced in a couple of years.

14. deliriumxy macrumors member

Why stop at two? Why not buy 3? Maybe even 4? While you're at it you can send me one as well. Thanks.

edit: ugh... oil and gas...

15. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

As I said, I don't know your story and I did not mean to criticize.

Anyway, to try to answer your question: unless it breaks down, the computer will probably be fine in 5 years. However, there will probably be new and exciting technologies in that time - maybe better batteries, maybe haptic touchscreen keyboards.... maybe Bluetooth that always works (hey, one can dream!)

Who knows. The point is - it won't be the performance that will be inadequate (even if outdated), it will be other things. In this way, I believe both the 2.7/455 and the 2.9/460 computers will age equally - good or bad. Same with pretty much any computer you buy today.

But if you're asking whether you'll be able to run Photoshop or After Effects or Pages or whatever you use on these computers in 5 years - then yes, you will :)

16. blairian89 thread starter macrumors regular

blairian89

Things aren't too shabby in Texas right now, but it used to be a WHOLE lot better.

You're good! I'm a dick sometimes, I admit it, and I didn't mean to rub you the wrong way (terrible pun possibly intended). I appreciate the answer. :)

I am sure that there will be a lot of really fun and exciting new technologies; better battery chemistry and extended battery life would be my favorite things...working Bluetooth? Let's not get TOO carried away here! Thank you again! I'll be saving the upgrades for the exciting technologies for my work machines...honestly I'll be using this one until 32GB of RAM becomes an option. I sure don't need it, but I feel like that will be when we start seeing some larger advances in terms of overall power.

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Well, two versus one machines aside, the 2.7/512/455 is a nice configuration. Good balance. I have one and I'm quite happy. Better last a few years or the wife will kill me!

18. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

LOL! I like this guy.

19. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Decent config, but I'd prefer
    2.6/16GB/1TB/460 as a higher end config
    and
    2.6/16GB/512GB/450 as a lower end config (450 instead of 460 to save some money, although not a lot)

Another option would be a maxed-out 13.3" for ultimate portability and battery life (tb 13.3 – finally a proper MacBook Air at a slight price premium)