2.7 dual core powermac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by VanneDC, Feb 28, 2011.

1. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Was there ever a 2.7 dual core? Not dual CPU.

And if it's only dual CPU, is it the Delphi lcs?

Cheers

And what's a 2.7 dual CPU pm worth in good nick?
    Also what's a 22 inch acrylic cinema display worth?

Cheers

2. MacHamster68, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the only dual core processors had been the 2.0 ghz and 2.3 ghz both air cooled

then the quad 2.5 ghz (2x dual core 2.5 ghz cpu ) liquid cooled the fastest ever produced PowerMac

the 2.7ghz is a dual processor ( 2x 2.7ghz cpu's ) liquid cooled

the lcs is nothing to worry if you are confident in refurbishing the lcs system which is actually not as complicated as it sounds , only problem really is when its leaking its first victim usually is the powersupply and the second victim the logicboard , because this liquid is highly corrosive and destroys everything in its path

but in therms of reliability there is always the dual 2.3 ghz air cooled too to consider , the most reliable PowerMac G5 and not much slower then the 2.3 dual core about 50 geekbench points difference and only about 250 points difference to the 2.7ghz , so not a difference you would notice in day to day use, but the 2.5 quad is giving them a run for their money with a geekbench score of over 3300 so a good 1100 points above the 2.7 ghz model

the PowerMac's are going down in price at the moment rapidly , like anything pre intel apart from the mini's which are in high demand and quiet stable in price ..at least here in the UK , it might be different down under, but it is really a question of condition and spec sheet and included software ,which can bring the price up to nearly early base MacPro levels

3. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Why a 22" Acrylic Cinema Display, go for the 23" HD Acrylic Cinema Display. I have a 22" and right now I am looking for the 23", the 22-incher just doesn't have the high resolution that I wanted.

4. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I'd say the display is worth about $100. Those displays are getting quite old and if it has had a bit of use it could be at the end of its life. I bought a acrylic 23" recently (I paid $130) and it had a pinkish cast and seemed rather dim compared to modern displays. I ended up offloading it with my old mirror door G4. You'll also need a DVI to ACD adapter unless you have a ACD port on your video card. They aren't cheap.

I'd recommend instead a post 2006 20" Cinema display. They sell for about $200-$250. The first revision Mac Pro now sells for about $AU1000- even less for the option with 2.00GHz CPUs.