2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 --iMovie9 - SonyAX2000 AVCHD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Wurish, May 31, 2011.

1. Wurish macrumors newbie

I have a Sony AX2000 on it's way to my house right now. I also just recently got my Macbook Pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7.

I plan on using iMovie 9, with Sony, which uses the AVCHD format. Will this work?

Do I need to do anything special to make the importing smoother? If it doesn't work, what do I need to do, to make everything jive?

Thanks so much!

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

iMovie 09 supports AVCHD but the AX2000 isn't listed here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3290

However, that list is likely to be always somewhat out of date.

AVCHD is just a container for H.264 video and AC-3 audio. If you have difficulty, it's possible to convert this to an mp4 container - I use ffmpeg to convert my point-and-shoot's AVCHD Lite to (MTS -> mp4), but that may be considered a bit geeky.

This is very quick since there's no conversion of the actual video or audio. I use:
    ffmpeg -i <input file> -threads 5 -vcodec copy -acodec copy <output file>.mp4

3. Wurish thread starter macrumors newbie

So you think I should be fine with what I currently have,and won't need anything in addition?

Thanks so much!

4. simsaladimbamba

An external Firewire 800 or TB HDD would be good to store the footage on and use as scratch disk.
    Btw, iMovie will transcode the CPU intensive AVCHD footage, which doesn't use an editing friendly codec, to a editing friendly format during import anyway, thus even a 2006 Mac can work with that kind of video.

5. Wurish thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, great. Thanks! I have a large Passport that I will be saving the footage too.