2.7 i5 2011 iMac 27" vs 21.5" performance difference?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by safetyobc, Aug 6, 2012.

1. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Is there any performance difference between the 2.7 i5's in the 21.5 vs the 27"? Just curious if driving the extra screen size would cause a performance difference? Like in gaming, standard apps, etc.?

Gonna buy a refurb very soon and just tossing around the idea of getting the 27". I would install at least an extra 8GB of RAM in which ever one I get.

Thanks!

2. laserfan macrumors member

I think for "gaming" you have to compare their video GPU specs.

But every time I think "21.5 or 27???" I come-up with "the 27 display is too cheap to pass-up!".

3. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I'm thinking the same thing! Extra couple hundred bucks for 27" as long as I don't suffer with performance. I am upgrading from my current late 2007 MBP 2.2 C2D. So even the 21" will be a huge difference!

4. Mark D macrumors member

I don't think the screen "causes" a performance difference, although there does happen to be one. It's insignificant though, a fractional increase in GHz and a higher end GPU with slightly more video memory. And that's comparing each respective price point. I would expect an i7 21" to outperform a base model 27" for most everything. But with 8GB of RAM being added you shouldn't have problems with whatever you choose.

And just btw, not saying the 27" monitor isn't magnificent but in my experience getting my first iMac a couple weeks ago they look HUGE in your home compared to in the store.

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

No, the screen size doesn't impact the CPU performance. However if gaming is a concern and the 2011's are on your radar, then you need the model the 6970m GPU. (Preferably with the 2GB VRAM upgrade, but those are really hard to find in refurb.)

6. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Very light and casual gaming. Nothing hardcore. Most demanding game I have is Civilization V lol.

Thanks!

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Let me tell you something.. for reasons only Firaxis can answer, Civ V is one of the most graphically demanding games out there...

8. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Thanks! It sure brings my old MBP to it's knees! Unplayable at times. :D