2.72m paper backdrop weight

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Renderz, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Renderz macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I'm building a studio. I intend to use this backdrop roller system [link] but I wanted to know if the cardboard tube that runs through the paper roll is sufficient enough to hold the weight of the paper [link]

I would appreciate some advice.

2. jampat macrumors 6502a

Are you wondering if the tube will break because it is unsupported in the centre? If so, the answer is no, the paper that stays wrapped around the tube provides additional support to the cardboard. As you use up the roll, there is less support but less weight. I use an unsupported 12' wide roll routinely and have never had a problem.

3. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

My background stand has a tube that goes all the way through the tube- since the last time I bought paper it hadn't been stored well, I'd really want the support all the way through the roll.

Mostly though I find paper to be a PITA and try to use muslins whenever I can- easier to store, easier to take on location, cheaper to ship- the only real PITA is if you need to switch BGs quickly, where you need 5 or 10m to de-wrinkle each one (spray bottle while it's stretched with the clamps.) The other thing is you can use wider muslins in narrower configurations easily.

Paul