2.7GB of "Other"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tahoeroscoe, Dec 19, 2010.

1. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

Hi all, simple Q, i have 2.7GB of other on my Ip4, any idea what the hell it could be? I am jailbroken if that's relevant, iOS 4.2.1.

Is that normal? I'm down to 190MB of free space on the phone and would love to get some of that Other space back.

2. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

could be all of your JB'd still classified under "OTHER" since they are not MUSIC / PHOTOS / VIDEOS.

3. tahoeroscoe thread starter macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

Yeah, it just seems like a lot though. All of my regular (apple approved) apps only take up 1.5GB and i have way more of those than JB apps.

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

A great many times when this happens it's been because of a person's Installous IPAs

5. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I've found that a lot of those themes are HUGE (like a thousand icons and wallpapers), so that may be where the space went...

6. Los macrumors regular

I doubt it, my Pictures folder in my computer is 2.9 GBs big and it contains a bunch of album artwork at 1500x1500 and a few PSDs from designs that I've done in the past. There's no way in hell that a few themes with little 114x114 icons would take up that much space.

7. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I believe it may account for files in the apps' sandboxes. Like, if you transferred files into GoodReader or VLC, it might not show up as part of "Apps" but data for the apps.

8. bluespider macrumors 6502

bluespider

I had a similar problem, had actually reached 3 gig of other... I did a full restore of my iphone and now only have a couple hundred meg of other...

9. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I have PhoneView on my Mac and found that there were unused IPA files in my ApplicationArchives folder...

Not cool when an *extra* copy of CoPilot was sitting there.