2.8 Ghz MBP Running Hot. Read for Specifics.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NoahD, May 12, 2010.

1. NoahD macrumors newbie

1. At Idle it's sitting at around 151 F.
    2. When I turn on my Firepod Audio Interface, it jumps to 160ish.
    3. When I turn on my WD Caviar Black 1TB External, it moves up towards and hovers around 200 F, sometimes as high as 216 F.
    4. Turning off the AI, the temp is fluctuating between 165 and 190 F.

Does anyone know any reasons why the external drive, AI, or combo of both would make the temp run so hot, and can anyone tell me if 150 F is normal (or at least within tolerance) temp?

Thanks for your input. I'll happily answer any questions that could help clarify this.

2. NoahD thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Whoopysnorp macrumors newbie

I just posted a thread about a similar issue I'm experiencing with a Mackie Onyx Satellite interface (haven't gotten any replies yet). Do some Googling...it looks like there's an issue with the Firewire chipset in the current Macbook Pros and most audio interfaces. In what order do you have the devices connected when the external hard drive is part of the chain--is the audio interface on the end, or is it the Firewire drive? I haven't had the chance yet to try to put a Firewire hard drive between my audio interface and my Macbook Pro (it's the 2.4 Ghz 13" model), but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that will help.

4. NoahD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Whoopysnorp.

The AI doesn't have the ability to chain, so I'm running the AI in to the FW port, and the WD External in to a USB port.

I'll Google it up for sure, but is there anywhere specific you'd recommend I look?

Thanks for the help. Seems like we're on our own for this one...

5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

There are no heat issues with the Macbook Pros.

These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Move along.

6. Whoopysnorp macrumors newbie

Ah I misunderstood...I thought the external hard drive was also on the Firewire bus. Try Googling something like "macbook pro temperature firewire audio"; I found some results that way. What I'm hoping will be the solution will be to put another Firewire device (i.e. a hard drive) with the ability to daisy chain in between the computer and the audio interface, because many such devices use better Firewire chipsets than what's built into the current Macbook Pros (or at least, chipsets that most audio interfaces can better deal with). We'll see.