2.8 ghz vs 2.66 ghz MBP on Refurb store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dongmin, Aug 3, 2009.

1. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

2. cube macrumors G5

The March 2009 2.66 and 2.93 can take 8 GiB of RAM.

3. dongmin thread starter macrumors 68000

dongmin

So, through 3rd-party upgrades you can push the March 2009 model to 8 gb but the Oct 2008 models to 6 gb--do I have that right?

The 2.8 ghz, then, is a BTO upgrade over the stock 2.53ghz model. Anyone run into problems with these BTO units? I'm concerned about the heat.

4. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

If that is the only difference I'd go with the faster processor unless you plan on spending a very hefty sum on 8gbs of ram.

5. cube macrumors G5

6. cube macrumors G5

Wait until you want 8 GiB in a couple years.

7. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

The added processor speed will give you the better performance right now. If performance isn't an issue pickup a used or refurbished macbook, it will give you a better bang for the buck.

8. cube macrumors G5

The difference between 2.66 GHz and 2.8 GHz is marginal, while the difference between 6 GiB and 8 GiB might be the reason to force you to buy a new computer.

9. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Which computer will give you better performance until the price of the ram becomes reasonable?

10. capn00 macrumors newbie

Amen. That is why I finally placed my order for the 2.8. I have been watching it come and go (usually in a matter of hours)from the refurb site for a couple of weeks now, so I finally ordered today when it re-appeared. I don't know many people that will be ordering or utilizing 8 GB of Ram anytime soon, but the 2.8 processor plus 512mb video card sold me. I actually want the expresscard slot as I don't need SD so that was an added bonus over the new 2.66. The extended battery time would have been nice, but I really will be using this as a desktop about 80% of the time.

(and now I am even more happy I ordered it, it is already out of stock again - I just completed my order 23 minutes ago...)

11. dongmin thread starter macrumors 68000

dongmin

Seems to be the most popular model. I'm watching the refurbs, debating. I guess I will have to wait til next week to pull the trigger.

12. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

if i had the choice id personally go for the extra ram capability. having got the top spec macbook pro at the time im still limited to 2gigs of ram now which is now proving very limiting 3 odd years along. imo ram trumps proc speed, apps are more-so designed to use less load from the cpu, but with increased ram generally developers take advantage of this. unless you want to do gaming that is.

13. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

The best way to settle this it to ask the OP what his needs are. Dongmin, how long do you plan on keeping the laptop before upgrading?

14. dongmin thread starter macrumors 68000

dongmin

4 years would be nice.

But there's a good chance I'd sell it before then. So resale value is important. I'd imagine 2.8ghz would fetch higher than 2.66 ghz, even if it's limited in RAM.

My uses will be processor- and graphics- intensive. A LOT of photoshop/illustrator/indesgn/acrobat. A LOT of AutoCAD, 3D modeling, and rendering. Some Revit/BIM. Some video editing.

Basically I need fast everything, but can't afford the top of the line. $1700 is my ceiling. I may wait til the Mid 2009 models show up in the refurb store. That'll be soon hopefully.

RAM is important but I probably won't push the 6GB ceiling for a couple years. After that, who knows.

15. dongmin thread starter macrumors 68000

dongmin

Not to be bumping up my own thread, but I just noticed that they've lowered the price of the 2.66 ghz (March 2009) a $100 to make it more competitive against the 2.8 ghz.

Is Apple getting ready to release the current generation 15" MBPs to the refurb store?

16. ChillyWilly26 macrumors newbie

It looks like they are already there...look for the ones listed with an SD card slot & Built-in 7-hour battery

17. cube macrumors G5

Well, it was not in my plans to get a notebook, but I rushed to get a March 2009 15", as the new ones are a the start of a bad downgrade trend IMHO.