2.8 Penryn Macbook Pro at Macworld?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbg232, Jan 7, 2008.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Everyone seems to be writing that we will see cpu upgrades of all the existing macbook pros to penryns at the same price and speed points that exist now meaning that a 2.6 penryn will be the fastest available macbook pro after macworld. Why won't we see the 2.8 penryn as a possibility for the new maxed out macbook pro?

2. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

It might be BTO as it uses the same power as the current 2.6 extreme.

They might find a way to make it work. I don't really expect to see it though.

3. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Don't know if you will see 2.8, but 2.6 is smokin' fast on the 17" MacBook Pro -- 2.8 will not make all that much difference from a 2.6 penryn, or santa rosa for that matter.

4. alebar14 macrumors regular

alebar14

If I have extra money,atleast I will probably wait until the second generation of Quad core mobile Penryn for MBP to avoid any early bugs.

5. preetyforu macrumors newbie

Nothing like a good round of crappy mockups and likely-fuax leaked Jobs to get the old rumor juices flowing.

6. Josheua macrumors regular

...or Intel Product Releases, Detailed Technical Roadmaps, and Observed and reliable trends in Apple Product Releases for that matter...:rolleyes:...a lot of the upgrade rumors are based off fact my friend.

-Josh :apple:

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Rumor has it that the new MBP will have 8 core and support up to 16gigs of RAM. Also it will have a the 8800 GTX in it! SWEET!

If you haven't purchased your MBP wait!! I tell you wait!! and if you have bought a MBP get rid of it.

This is a rumor site right?

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

One reason why 2.8 may not be available is the same reason it's not available with the Merom chips now. It just draws too much power.

Apple makes the 2.8 available on the iMac because it has more room for better cooling. They top out at 2.6 on the MBP because it doesn't. The 2.8 has a maximum power dissipation nearly 33% higher than the 2.6. This continues to hold with the new Penryn chips. Although they are lower power inherently, so maybe the new 2.8 will have the same power envelope as the old 2.6. (I'd have to go digging through arcane Intel documentation to be sure, which I don't have time to do right now.)

9. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

That's what I was wondering. If the penryn has a better power envelope why not use that to apple's advantage and increase the speed with minimal difference compared to current macbook pros in terms of battery time.

10. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

If the new MBP's are 2.6 and 2.4 Penryns, I'll be very happy to pick up a 2.6! As for the 2.8, if it were a bit cooler then maybe they'd put it in the portable - I suspect it's just too darn hot right now.

11. iBunny macrumors 65816

I Beleive that we will see the 2.6 as the Top Standard Config Option, with the 2.8 for BTO.