2.8 x 8 MacPro Running Hotter since Memory Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by offshoresa65s, Mar 16, 2009.

1. offshoresa65s macrumors member

Hi

I just took advantage of the cheaper Trans'intal Memory available online and upgraded from 8GB to 12GB.

Bank 1 has 2 x 2GB and 2 x 1GB
    Bank 2 has 2 x 2GB and 2 x 1GB

Subjectively the machine now sounds noiser, but Hardware Monitor shows there is no increase in the fan speeds, ie same as prior to upgrade.

However Hardware monitor definitely shows an increase in temperature in the Memory banks, has anyone else had this experience?

Going to try and add a screen grab of Hardware Monitor.

Cheers

O

Attached Files:

2. rylin macrumors 6502

Adding components that draw power raises the temperature?
    Whodathunkit?

3. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

what were the temperatures before installation?

4. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Those are quite normal temperatures. My memory runs around 70-80 degrees in Octo 2.8.

5. sboerup macrumors 6502

smcFanControl is awesome. I don't mind having the fans a little higher RPM than stock (stock is almost dead silent). I'd rather have my machine run cooler and hear it running than it not be cool enough.

6. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

Out of curiousity, how come you ordered from trans'intal instead of datamem or macsales? Is the quality of RAM pretty much the same between the 3 companies or is there a difference?

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've ordered from Transintl.com many times and I think their RAM is even better than the stock RAM from Apple. There are more fins on the RAM, and even thicker. Also no ecc errors or any kind of errors and runs perfectly fine.

9. offshoresa65s thread starter macrumors member

Hi

Thanks for responses. Yea, I knew someone was going to ask me about what were the temps of the RAM prior to upgrade, but not expecting any significant increase I didn't take a screen grab of H/W Monitor prior to installation.

H/W Monitor states they are are all round or close to 60c now, prior to upgrade I reckon they were around 45-52c.

It was really the feeling I got about a perceived increase in fan noise, but H/W Monitor didn't reflect that in the numbers.

Thanks ibug2 for reassuring me about these numbers and sboerup I'll look into smcfan.

The reason I chose Trans'intal is purely ease of online buying. I've tried purchasing from Macsales (Which I think is OWC, Apologies OWC if I've got that wrong) in the past , but they want copies of drivers licsences, passports etc.

In this day and age of Identity fraud I'm really reluctant to give those kinds of details out.

Many Thanks

O