Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperGrobi

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Hello there,
my question: Did anybody so far try to run two 8800GT in his new Mac Pro?

I have one flashed 8800GT running in Mac OS and one unflashed (64K ROM) card that I want to put in slot 2. I tried this before with the stock 2600XT in slot 1 and (as others reported) the fan running at full speed was too annoying. Now I want to repeat the same with two 8800GTs. Some earlier reports claim that a PC 2600XT runs fine together with the original Mac 2600XT. It was assumed that the Mac Pro might read the EFI / Bios only from the first card and use it for both?! I am interested to see if that might be true for two 8800GTs. I got my power cable for the second 8800GT today so I might have a chance to try this tonight.
Thanks for suggestions and help.

Mercuric Oxide

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
NYC
Hello there,
my question: Did anybody so far try to run two 8800GT in his new Mac Pro?

I have one flashed 8800GT running in Mac OS and one unflashed (64K ROM) card that I want to put in slot 2. I tried this before with the stock 2600XT in slot 1 and (as others reported) the fan running at full speed was too annoying. Now I want to repeat the same with two 8800GTs. Some earlier reports claim that a PC 2600XT runs fine together with the original Mac 2600XT. It was assumed that the Mac Pro might read the EFI / Bios only from the first card and use it for both?! I am interested to see if that might be true for two 8800GTs. I got my power cable for the second 8800GT today so I might have a chance to try this tonight.
Thanks for suggestions and help.

I can't comment about the 8800, but I'm looking into getting an ATi 3870 X2, and leaving both that and the 2600 in the MP.

So I should be able to see whether mismatched cards from the same manufacturer don't have the full-rev fan speed problem. This may shed light on mixing an 8800 with another nvidia card, like the upcoming 9800 series.

SuperGrobi

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Humh, I tried the 2x 8800GT setup yesterday. The PC card is recognized as G92 graphic adaptor and it looks like Mac OS is able to identify it in the system profiler showing all the criteria of the card correctly (just like for the Mac-flashed 8800GT in slot 1). However, I don't get a picture from the PC card - maybe it is not that simple :(

Mercuric Oxide

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
NYC
Humh, I tried the 2x 8800GT setup yesterday. The PC card is recognized as G92 graphic adaptor and it looks like Mac OS is able to identify it in the system profiler showing all the criteria of the card correctly (just like for the Mac-flashed 8800GT in slot 1). However, I don't get a picture from the PC card - maybe it is not that simple :(

but do you still get picture from the flashed 8800?

also, do you have the full-blast fan problem (where the unused card revs its fans up)?

SuperGrobi

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
but do you still get picture from the flashed 8800?

also, do you have the full-blast fan problem (where the unused card revs its fans up)?

Of course the flashed card still works - otherwise I wouldn't be able to look at the system profiler ;)

However, it is hard to tell if the card's fan runs at full speed. I had the impression it behaved a little less noisy than in the past but it is still clearly louder than the flashed card, but I have to point out that the PC card uses a bigger fan!
I can see the card in the system profiler with all info like ROM version etc. just like the flashed card. But even with a monitor attached it says "no monitor attached" ... well, I didn't test everything very extensively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.