2.8Ghz 17" uMBP good idea to pick up now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThirteenXIII, Dec 17, 2009.

  1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

    Mar 8, 2008
    I had my 17" 2.66 for almost 10 months now since it came out back in feb.

    i recently had an offer for it ~2500 and i can get a discount for a new 17" 2.8 for 2300~.

    My main concern is; i like the upgraded specs; 500GB drive, 2.8Ghz processor (may upgrade to the 3Ghz model if possible)...but really is Snow Leopard.
    I have been beta testing it out on a side machine and its OKAY, but some applications future remain iffy some work flawlessly right now and some are so so..i jsut dont want to be stuck without those applications.

    I have cs2 & cs3..cs2 seems to work bette than cs3, an di primarily use:

    CS2, Dreamweaver 2004 and Cs3 (flakey in cs3), iSquint, Handbrake, MTR, Logic Express & FC Express.

    would this be a logical upgrade or just stick with the early 09? (with Leo & possibly upgrade to snow)
    i figured that is a decent price for that system and id make near ~200 to upgrade.
  2. skinniezinho macrumors 65816

    Jan 1, 2009
    if you need it..trade...if you don't just sell it and wait..
  3. iMav macrumors 6502


    Jun 20, 2008
    Columbus, WI
    I use all those tools under snowy without issue.

    I don't see the downside, really. A newer machine with better specs and the latest OS...and you are, basically, being paid $200 to make the switch.

    No brainer.
  4. lamina macrumors 68000


    Mar 9, 2006
  5. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Mar 8, 2008
    thanks all for the info and good feedback.

    I have one other question, there is an even cheaper refurbished model.
    i presume those are just as good as the newer ones, just minus retail packaging?

    did your system come preinstall with Snow Leopard or just an upgrade?
  6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040


    Mar 15, 2005
    Yes you lose retail packaging, but the outside casing and everything is normally completely replaced so it looks completely new.
  7. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Mar 8, 2008
    One other option i had was. I did use my 17" with a 30" apple display that I sold last month.

    I was thinking about waiting on a 17" model and going with an i7 27" iMac and a 13" MBP 2.26ghz

    itd keep within the budget i resold my gear for and get two decent systems.

    althought itd be hard to get away from that luxurious 17" set up! :p

    awesome, good to hear. Thanks alot!
  8. applebook macrumors 6502a


    Jul 21, 2009
    I just got one as a gift, and boy, it is simply stunning. :eek:

    Get it now.

    Even though I expect newer GPUs and CPUs by late Jan/early Feb on the 17," I still would rather trade yours + get $200 back for a current 2.8.

    I was forced to use Leopard for a week awhile ago, and boy am I glad to be back on Snow Leopard. :cool:
  9. iMav macrumors 6502


    Jun 20, 2008
    Columbus, WI
    I believe it was loaded with Snowy. Not positive as I did a fresh install of Snow Leopard immediately.
  10. aldo818 macrumors regular

    Nov 18, 2009
    South of France
    If u make +$200 i would definitly do it without even thinking about.

    Cause even when the newer once come out u ll get more for the newer old once then for the one you actually have
  11. shootingstar64 macrumors regular


    Nov 27, 2008
    Monterey, CA
    i would say: go for it!!!!

    i also use all of your mentioned applications (and several versions of those required apps)..... no issues here!

    also i would grab the extra $200 and make the wifey a nice gift :)
  12. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

    Gabriel GR

    Jul 12, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    if you can wait, get the money and wait for an update. If you need a laptop right now get a new 17 with the money. You will be able to sell it for a good price even if you want to upgrade later on.
  13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604


    Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
    Trade it, keep the money for a couple weeks and get an even better machine, if you can...

Share This Page