2.8GHz 8 core Mac Pro $2399 from Apple refurbish store

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Apr 9, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I know I could've gotten it for $1899 with the business purchase but its well past that time now but there is the next best thing refurbish store from Apple.

I wonder if all the 2.8GHz 8 core models were sent back to Apple and now they are just selling unopened brand new and calling them refurbished.

If this were true, would they take it out of the original box and put it in a refurbished box?

Has anyone ordered one from the refurbished store and if so was it just in the same black box sealed?

2. cmaier macrumors G3

I wouldn't count on getting an unused one.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Someone on one of the forums said that sometime ago on a monday that their apple stores started to ship off the 2.8GHz 8 core models back to Apple (brand new unopened boxes).

I'm wondering if they have been reopened and gone through the thorough testings and just marked as refurbished. It could be very likely.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

Thing is, if they truly were unused, Apple could still sell them as new, instead of "refurbished." As soon as they say "refurbished" they have to knock $$ off the price.

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Sell them on their website though?? But there is no more room except the Refurbished area.

And I dont think they would sell them to resellers online or anywhere else because they would have to give them a good discount (probably the $2399 that their wanting right now from the original $2799).

I mean might as well put it on their refurbished site and get rid of them for the same price that they would try to sell off to resellers right?

If anything resellers would want to buy it cheaper than $2399 as a business purchase was $1899.

6. vultureparade macrumors member

I doubt Apple would open up sealed Mac Pros just to sell them in the refurbished section when they could sell them in the clearance section for more money.

7. cmaier macrumors G3

well, good luck.

8. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yes Apple has done that with overstock in the past. They did that with some of the first 3.0GHz 8-core 07 machines which came back when the newly revised 3.0GHz 8-core 08 machines were released. And according to the source "we just slapped a [refurbished] sticker on them". I went and looked at the time. It didn't say how many they had. But the prices were only like, $500 less than when new - so only $100 less than the new models - which came down in price $400. :)

But even if it's used who cares? Some people say used is better than new cuz it's had a burn-in. :)

9. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

I toyed with the idea of getting a refurb from the Apple store to run as a Pro Tools rig...then I found that B&H has new (2008 obviously) 8-core 2.8GHz MPs with the 8800 video card for $2499...no tax.

Of course, it's Passover so you can't place an order right now. Even if you do place the order at the end of the Sabbath this week it won't ship until the 16th, I believe.

Then I thought about just getting a 2009 quad core. I'm really suffering from a case of brain-melt over this whole MP situation right now. I swear Avid exists to torment me.

10. jwkitche macrumors newbie

Just bought one - seems new

I have a little experience with the refurb store (having bought a 1st generation Mac Pro a couple of years ago). My recent purchase (the 2.8 GHz Mac Pro from the refurb store last week) seemed like it had never been touched before. It arrived in better condition (no smudges, software sealed in envelopes, etc) than my prior refurb purchase (an obvious "true" refurb).
    I would also suspect that the majority of these units are being sent back from the Apple Stores due to the fact that they all have the same configuration.
    In any circumstance, Apple supports the refurbs well and if there is a problem, they will take care of things.

11. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

there is a 'clearance' area too

12. cmaier macrumors G3

Just in case you're not joking, burn-in doesn't actually make a computer better. It just weeds out the ones that are bad.

13. cmaier macrumors G3

yeah, that makes more sense. People would be willing to pay more for clearance than for refurbished. Apple's not the kind of company to give up a buck or two when it doesn't have to.

Of course, if they were truly thinking things over, they'd just bury all the unsold '08's in a big hole, like pac man atari cartridges.

14. mingus51 macrumors member

I bought a refurb 2.8 Octo yesterday and according to my shipping statement it says it will be here on the 15th.

I went this route after trying to get one as a business from the apple store. The business sales person said they ship unsold floor models back to apple for a credit so I too can imagine that some of the refurb units are indeed new or backstock items, or wost case scenario, floor models.

In any case, I know several people who religiously shop only the refurb section as they say the quality of the item is top notch (never a ding or a hiccup or some weird quirk)...so I'm expecting to get a computer that runs and feels like a brand new one but doesn't have that "new-car-scent" (which I'll miss BTW)

15. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I just looked at the clearance area, the 2.8GHz 8 core model is also priced the same as $2399.

I think its pretty suspicious that its the exact same price listed on both the refurbished and the clearance area.

I have a strong feeling their both the same machines just trying to get rid of them in both areas so that it will be seen more to either type customers whos looking for a refurb or clearance Mac Pro item.

Also I find it strange that under "clearance" if you go to the macbook pro section they list refurbished items there. For the Mac Pro under clearance it does not say refurbished, so I'm guessing its new but specific items that are refurbs do say "refurbished" under the clearance items.

Infact all the items under "clearance" are refurbished and saids refurbished, except the 2.8GHz 8 core or the 4 core Mac Pros. Interesting....

16. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

17. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

eBay

Just use eBay! I bought a 2008 2.8x8 machine for about $2200, no tax. Transaction worked fine, machine is top-notch, plus it has AppleCare until April 2011.

18. cmaier macrumors G3

Every time you use ebay, a puppy dies.

19. musique macrumors regular

musique

Refurb MP - no problems

FWIW, I just picked up one of these from the Apple Refurb site. In the past I've purchased both a PPC Mac Mini and a 500GB Time Capsule refurb. Both are still working fine. I've had the Mini for close to 4 years.

So far the refurb Pro (2.8 Ghz dual quad) is running fine. I've added 8GB RAM and two 1TB WD drives. I've been thinking about getting one of the new 2TB WD drives, but there's no rush. I'm waiting (maybe ~6 months) for the price/GB to drop.

I'm very satisfied with the purchase. BTW it came in about 2 days in a brown box that says "Certified Apple Refurbished" or something to that effect on it.

Good luck. :cool:

20. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

interesting. However even if they are the same product in the warehouse, the fact that they are advertised as new (albeit 'clearance') you get whole bundle more rights than if there was, for example, any cosmetic damage.

21. rylin macrumors 6502

Correlation is not causation ;)

22. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If anyone cares, theres the 3.2 Octo with dual superdrives, 500gb HDD, and the 8800GT on the UK refurb store for £2499, the same price as the new 2.26. Thats $3185 excluding tax.

23. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, of course. :)