2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo 17" or 2.5Ghz Core i5 17"

Yimbie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Hello everyone! I am looking to purchase my first Macbook Pro. I am having a difficult time deciding between a $1749 17" from Amazon that is the older 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo and the $2298 17" (w/ student discount and tax... have to include tax) from Apple that is the newest model. The price difference is $549.

Some things I'm curious about:

1. Intel HD card? Does it really cause that much lag? How is it compared to the nVidia 9400m? I don't mean benchmarks, I mean real life performance.

2. Battery life? Is the battery life in the newest model much better than previous gen?

3. Heat? Is there a difference in heat production between them?

I don't care about gaming, so the 512 300m vs. 512 9600m is no concern.

Does the newest 17" justify the $549 price difference? Are there any other things that I should know between the two?

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
Hello everyone! I am looking to purchase my first Macbook Pro. I am having a difficult time deciding between a $1749 17" from Amazon that is the older 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo and the $2298 17" (w/ student discount and tax... have to include tax) from Apple that is the newest model. The price difference is $549.

1. Intel HD card? Does it really cause that much lag? How is it compared to the nVidia 9400m? I don't mean benchmarks, I mean real life performance.

2. Battery life? Is the battery life in the newest model much better than previous gen?

Does the newest 17" justify the $549 price difference? Are there any other things that I should know between the two?
What are you going to use it for?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Microcenter has that 17" 2.8 new for $1599.

At that price it's hard to justify the newer model unless you have applications that require intensive CPU utilization.

Cheers,

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009

1) no about the same
2)previous model had better battery life
3) heat same

i would look at i7 or saving money on previous model

Yimbie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
What are you going to use it for?
Photo and video editing, web surfing, word documents, music, and so forth. I'm a typical student. I don't do any gaming. That age has passed me. I was first debating between the 15" and 17" but decided to go with 17" for that extra screen real estate and portability is almost the same to me. I have a great 17" computer backpack.

Yimbie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
I cannot answer this question.

This might be of interest to you, though:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0314209
Thank you very much for that link! I'd prefer to buy from Amazon though because there's no tax through Amazon. Micro Center charges it and as a result, it will actually be more expensive than the one from Amazon. Also, I live in SoCal and it's sold out there and don't know when they will get them in again. It's the thought that counts! :)

warrena

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
DFW area
The Microcenter near me also had the anti glare 2.8 17" in stock, at that price I had to pick one up. Works great and the large anti glare screen is easy to read. Will just use it as a desktop replacement for my last old powerbook.

Yimbie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Decision

I decided to get the 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo. I keep seeing that people are having issues with the Intel HD card. I am off A/C a lot and would annoy me a lot to have things lag when it doesn't need to. Quick question though, how long should I expect the battery life to be (as in a range) with regular web browsing, word document work, and such? I know that the estimated battery life will not be attainable under these conditions.

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
Photo and video editing, web surfing, word documents, music, and so forth. I'm a typical student. I don't do any gaming. That age has passed me. I was first debating between the 15" and 17" but decided to go with 17" for that extra screen real estate and portability is almost the same to me. I have a great 17" computer backpack.
If you'll be doing video editing a lot, the i5 might serve you well. Consider it if cost isn't a concern.

Edit: Never mind, I see you choose the 2.8 GHz. Good Luck :)

Yimbie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
If you'll be doing video editing a lot, the i5 might serve you well. Consider it if cost isn't a concern.

Edit: Never mind, I see you choose the 2.8 GHz. Good Luck :)
Thank you! It's not heavy video editing. It'll basically just be editing what I've recorded from my Sony camera in Europe. Nothing heavy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.