2.8ghz imac came this morning, first impressions

superlatic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Leeds, UK
Came at 8:55 this morning, nice and early.

From taking it out of the box was up and running within 10 minutes, which my dear old father found hard to believe!!

First thing that struck me was how big the thing was!!! Really glad i opted for the bigger screen!!!

Then came the scare. Turned it on and after reading the posts in here, began examining for dead/stuck pixels and to my horror, found about 10-15 white pixel sized dots over my screen. Fortunately was just dust and after giving the screen a good wipe, so far, not found any dead pixels (after boot ups). But after reading the dead pixel threads in this forum, automatically feared the worst.

Start Up: 19 seconds to start up. Impressive!!!!!!

The Screen: Exactly as was said on here, very very glossy and I can understand why people on this forum don't like it. But in all honesty it doesnt really bother me, as it is positioned in my room where there is very little reflection (ie not directly opposite a window).

Tonight will be installing xp pro using bootcamp, and giving the speakers a good test, plus transfering the stuff from my ibook onto here.

But most definately, so far so good!!!!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Saw in the other thread that it arrive and was just thinking about checking back to see how you had gotten on. Bet the past 1hr 40 mins has been fun.

Always good to see some pictures.

superlatic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Leeds, UK
2.8ghz with 2gb ram and 750gb hdd, formatted capacity 698, available 687.

Will post some pics later on, just installing xp pro at the moment (on ibook now) using boot camp

RRK

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
USA/Ohio/Columbus

peter32892

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2006
it means you have a good quality screen. There are tn panels then there are ISP which ISP are way better then tn panels. so yes it is a good thing!

superlatic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Leeds, UK
update

This thing is fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Installed XP Pro OEM using boot camp no problems, and it runs windows faster than any PC i have encountered before!!!!

Fast warming to the screen, when its bright i do get a bit of glare which can be a pain in the arse but i live in england, so thats not often an issue in a country where we get 1 day of sun a year!!!

Impressed with how loud the speakers are although think they could be a bit clearer.

Will post some pics once got .mac up and running

shawmanus

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2006
This thing is fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Installed XP Pro OEM using boot camp no problems, and it runs windows faster than any PC i have encountered before!!!!

Fast warming to the screen, when its bright i do get a bit of glare which can be a pain in the arse but i live in england, so thats not often an issue in a country where we get 1 day of sun a year!!!

Impressed with how loud the speakers are although think they could be a bit clearer.

Will post some pics once got .mac up and running
congrats on ur purchase. can u run cpu-z on xp to confirm if its x7900

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
My 24" 2.8GHz mac (or rather the wifes) arrived today, i am loving it!!

I just ran the same program (SwitchResX) and got the same LG LM240WU2-SLB1 as you other guys.

To be honest I have no idea what it means but i do quite like the fact that a few others have the same one as me!!! :)

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I thought you were talking to me then, asking for a ibook comparison, ha! I can tell you that the 24" iMac is pure joy. Think the screen is a tad too bright, especially for an evening though!!

Hibbsy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2007
UK
We had ours today, and I slept through most of it :(

Any chance of trying out Handbrake on it and posting your results?
I have the same machine 2.8 GHz with 4Gb RAM installed and handbrake gets 30 - 35fps average straight off the DVD drive using apple TV preset and create chapter markers enabled.

j26

macrumors 65832
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I have the same machine 2.8 GHz with 4Gb RAM installed and handbrake gets 30 - 35fps average straight off the DVD drive using apple TV preset and create chapter markers enabled.
Ooh, very nice.

I might need to talk very nicely to she that must be obeyed.