2.8ghz MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Airon, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Airon macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm thinking about buying a 2.8ghz MBP. Do they have this spec at the apple store or do i have to buy online?

2. Pneublet macrumors member

You can't buy them at the Apple Store you have to custom order online only.

3. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Apple used to carry BTO models in stores though. But usually you had to go full out on specs, and everything was maxed out, then you could buy it in store.

4. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

i enquired at regent street flagship store here in london about the maxed out 17MBP 2.6GHZ 4GB + SSD + AG HR Screen..

Their answer:

"Nah, you'll have to go online for that MF".. "We only carry the standard stock models"

5. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Really? That's weird. I got my old 15" 2.6GHz, 512MB VRAM 8600M GT, 4GB RAM machine in an Apple store. And I believe Alphaod got his (same machine, 17" Hires tho) from an apple store also.

6. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Yep. Otherwise I would MUCH rather have walked into the Regent St Store and checked it before walking out with one. Instead I had to go via Apple business store over the phone and wait 2-3 weeks for it to arrive. Not knowing if there are any issues with it

7. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Micro Anvika usually stock some high-end BTO models; no idea if they have any 2.8s yet.

Although I also prefer to buy from a store, this time I just ordered mine online.

8. blurfonz macrumors regular

I am using the 2.8Ghz and HDD @7,200. no stores has this and they will not do it. Hv to go through Apple Store online as the CTO specs will be directly assemble in factory in China.

9. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I ordered with the SSD option. And I'm positive that not even Micro Anvika would have been able to supply this faster than Apple. Esp since I also ordered the anti-glare display option

10. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

You know this raises a good point.
    Since most semi-experienced users should be able to do basic upgrades like RAM and HDs esp now that they have the easy access...it shouldn't be too much trouble for the Apple stores to have a little work area (public or in the back) and one tech at each store who can do your BTO for you...while you wait or even watch (sort of like those Japanese restaurants that cook right in front of you).

Why not? That would be great not to have to wait 2 weeks as a machine get built from scratch and then shipped from China. All they'd have to do is send a small shipment of machines in all 3 CPU configurations....the 2.4 would not have any RAM in it so you could choose 2 or 4 GB....the 2.53 and 2.8 would both already have 4 GB naturally.....and they'd simply install the HD you choose. Could be done within an hour n/p by appointment. How hard could it be?

They could still do BTOs online for those who don't live near an Apple store. I think this would be a great service for customers and save time & money w/ exchanges. You wouldn't have to wait weeks for a replacement BTO and could inspect it right then & there (thus saving further exchanges & costing Apple more money).