2.9 vs 3.2 retention

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Skydiver32, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Skydiver32 macrumors member

Hello. I bought a 27 in 2.9 he 8 ram and 3 Tb fusion. I read older posts. I know there is only about 10% increase in speed from the 2.9 to 3.2. My use is basic, CS6, Aperture 3,Internet and wordprocessing, presentations. I am also upgrading the ram to 24.
    I plan on keeping it for a good 5 years if not more. Would the little jump of CPU speed help its retention in the future eg updates or compatibility, etc.

My imac has been sitting in processing for the past week - giving my idle mind more time to question things

Thanks

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

No. Very little of modern applications are CPU limited.

3. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

You are looking at the wrong specs, either processor will be fine and wont make much difference...its the GPU you need to upgrade. With only 512MB RAM on the entry level video card you could put 100GB of actual RAM in your machine and it wont help the poor graphics performance from an underpowered video card. Many people think the GPU is just for gaming...The GPU with only 512GB RAM will not be a good choice for a computer you want for 5+ years, its not powerful enough...at least get the 675mx with 1GB RAM...Id even recommend the 680mx with 2GB RAM...

its a shame Apple only put 512GB RAM in the lower end 27...its just barely enough today and will fall short in just a few years...

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well I think that's the point. Apple wants you to upgrade your hardware every couple of years. Preferably once your AppleCare expired. It's more money for them, and less for us

Suck really.