2.93ghz iMac advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by muskett32, Sep 6, 2009.

1. muskett32 macrumors member

So, looking to buy an iMac. Instead of springing for the top model, 3.06ghz, was thinking of going with the 2.93ghz and the ATI HD 4850 card. I think this may be a better machine and less than the cost of the top model. Any thoughts?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's a good move. The difference between the 2.93GHz chip and the 3.06GHz chip is minor at best.

Put the money towards the better graphics card, maybe more RAM in the future, AppleCare and a backup HDD.

3. muskett32 thread starter macrumors member

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. That's my train of thought exactly. Now, just gonna wait till mid September just to see if any of the unofficial rumors and hopes for a new iMac comes true. As much as I want to, I'd hate to pull the trigger too early.

4. Buzz Bumble Guest

Aw, come on now. That 0.13GHz difference will mean your iDVD movie renders a whole 0.0000000001 seconds faster! That's well worth the extra money. ;)

5. hank-b macrumors member

hank-b

That's 130MHz you're losing - essentially it's as if an entire mid-90's desktop computer had leaked out of the back of your iMac.:D

That said, I bought the 2.93GHz iMac and it's fantastic.

HB

6. muskett32 thread starter macrumors member

Haha.. techie sarcasm. I love it. Thanks for confirming my choice. Glad to know I'm not alone on this one.

7. opera57 macrumors 6502

Haha yea, I really doubt there will be much of a difference. I have the 3.06ghz and a 2.13ghz macbook air and to be quite honest in day to day usage I don't notice any difference at all! [​IMG]

8. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

just a thought, but the NVidia chips seem to be running better with Grand Central. Defiantly wait to see if there is a new one around the corner - Apple have to put quads in these soon.

9. Buzz Bumble Guest

Yep. I was going to add that the speed difference is equal to about half of the 266MHz beige G3 minitower PowerMac I'm still using everyday. :)