2.93GHz upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itsmed, Apr 8, 2009.

1. itsmed macrumors regular

itsmed

hi is it worth upgrading to the 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor on the 17" mbp. and would the 320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm make much difference. im going to be using photoshop cs4,gaming,web. :confused:

2. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I would go with the 2.93 GHz upgrade, but I wouldn't do the harddrive upgrade. Especially from apple. However, all the stock harddrives I've gotten from apple have been SUPER quiet compared to other harddrives.

3. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Buy the cheapest HD from Apple and get one on your own that is faster and cheaper . Take the Apple HD and stick it in a small external box for backup. If your using PS than at least 6gb of ram is what you really want. PS is Ram hungry and the more you throw at it the better, that and a fast HD and you should be in good shape. 2.93 won' hurt you either but maybe not as important for PS than Ram and Hard drive. So juggle those numbers between the 2.66 and 2.93 and see what your budget allows. If money is the issue as a PS kind of guy I would be going after as much Ram and hard drive than I would after the 2.93 even though and I take my own words back here and that is always go for the fastest processor since you can't change that later but can always add the ram later. This all comes down to budget decisions. Myself I went for the juggler on everything. LOL

4. Wyndam macrumors newbie

What is wrong with the 320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 from Apple?

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Probably nothing, its just usually less expensive from other sources. I do consider a 7200rpm drive better then a 5400, and I've noticed speed increases between the two speeds on a white macbook.

6. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Nope. Get a SSD instead of the insignificant processor bump. You will notice a huge difference with the SSD.

7. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Not with an SSD from apple. Get the best SSD you can afford from newegg.

8. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Good point. I should have said ignore Apple and get the Intel SSD or OCZ Vertex if you want a solid budget SSD with more space. The difference will honestly be dramatic.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It depends on what you plan to do with your computer in the next few years when they update the specs? Will you sell your computer in 2 years? 3 years?

If you plan to sell it within the next 3 years or so, then don't get the upgrade since it doesn't improve the resell value. If you won't be selling it, can afford it, or rather don't care for the price you get in the future, by all means go for it.

Mind you a BTO machine cannot be refunded or exchanged even if it breaks within the first 14 years. Only DOAs can be returned.

The Samsung SSDs in the Apple notebooks have been reported to stutter.

10. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

11. itsmed thread starter macrumors regular

itsmed

i think ill go for the 2.93 processor and the 7200 rpm HDD the 7200rpm is only £35 more to up gread thanks for all your help :D