2.93Ghz vs 2.66Gz benchmark's anyone yet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevieapollo, Mar 10, 2009.

1. stevieapollo macrumors member

i know this question has been posted before but i have yet to see or find benchmarks for these 2 machines:( my 14 day return policy is just about up and i would really love to know if that top end 2.93ghz mbp is worth me ordering from apple and waiting god knows how long for me to be able to continue life as normal. i am a musician/video editor and rendering time is just about the worst thing i have ever had to deal with my machine before the mbp was a 2.8ghz imac with 4gb ram. although it got the job done i just think it is worth that extra buck for those extra minutes of my life. I just don't know if it's worth a couple of extra seconds...this is why some benchmarks on these 2 machines would help a great deal with my final decision.

*apollo*

2. xoggyux macrumors 6502

benchmarks will hardly help you make an informed decition, they usually use some kind of score than whan you compare them it will lead you to think the 2.93 is several times faster than 2.66 but when it comes to real life, in the best case scenario it will shave you a few seconds every hour or so (maybe a couple of mins.) If you really want to save as much time as you can, then do it the proper way and get yourself a mac pro. Also I dont see no reason why you should be waiting while rendering, just leave it doing it and go take a nap, eat something, go do your groceries, etc...
    Anyway i dont have benchs so sorry...

3. stevieapollo thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info and help. i would love to get a mac pro but i sold the one i had after 3 weeks because i missed the mobility if a notebook. I do leave the room if i am rendering to import to dvd or you tube but when adding filters and effects at time of actual editing it does limit me to as much time i can really spend on a single clip. i hear you though i just might have to go back to getting a dedicated editing machine, and perhaps save some cash to purchase a macbook for the mobility.:D

4. jas870 macrumors newbie

sometimes it's nice just to know

while i agree that benchmarks won't help all that much with an informed decision, i'd still like to see them. i'm still waffling a bit as to which processor to get myself, although i'm leaning toward the 2.6 since my most cpu-intensive work is generally in photoshop and i seldom need to render video.

it seems strange that the 17" UMBP has been in people's hands for several weeks now, but i too have been unable to find any benchmarks comparing the two processors.

5. xoggyux macrumors 6502

This might sound like "witchery" but here is a suggestion:
    for ~$3000 that cost a MBP 17" get a MBA (~1300) for movility is better than 17" monster :cool: and get a ~2000 PC (yeah I know windows :() with intel i7 4GB ram and 2 x 1.5TB HDD just for rendering :D, if you feel adventurous make it a hackintosh :cool:.

6. Thylacine macrumors newbie

Also been searching for some real-world comparisons

I agree--really interested to see some side-by-side reviews.

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I wouldn't say that - he's looking to see how much real world performance gain there is between a base model and its upgrade. This will likely be as a variety of different percentage differences, depending on the application. Then the buyer can use those percentages, compare them to the price difference, and decide if it's worth the extra money.

They're an extremely useful tool, especially if the tester uses an app you use regularly! Is it the only tool for making a buying decision? Nope - but it can help.

If you're merely saying that the 300 MHz difference won't be much of a difference at all doing day to day tasks, well that's likely correct... but everyone has different needs and uses for their mac.

So yeah - benchmarks = useful :D

8. RestlessDeviant macrumors newbie

On Bootcamp -> Windows 7 the 2.93 scores 6.5 on the Windows Experience Index for processer calculations per second......