2.9gHz i5 vs 3.1gHz i5 Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jker, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Jker macrumors member

Hi all,

A quick noob question here. Simply, is it worth the £80 upgrade on the 13inch douchebar model? I use my mac 8+ hours a day typically if not more, and furthermore I game a fair share (on a macbook pro I know kill me... but it allows me to do everything on one machine I can carry around).

Also really curious to see the geekbench scores coming up in the next week or so, so for anyone with the base 13inch 2.9gHz touchbar and the 3.1gHz touchbar, please post your results here!

Thanks all!

2. Jker thread starter macrumors member

3. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

I chose that one.

Then slightly regretted it. £80 for 200mhz isn't worth it for me. You'd only notice it when numbers such as encoding or something come in to play. Wether you want something completing in 1:35 instead of 1:39.

There's nothing else different about the chips.

Of course others may have other opinions.

4. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/search?utf8=✓&q=6267u
    From the average it seems that the multi-core score is 7400, up from 6800 (2015 13" model) and 7100 (non-Touch Bar version). So it's like 3% faster than the non-TB version?

Anyhow, don't spend that amount on the CPU upgrade, you'd better get the 16GB RAM or up your storage. If you wanted more CPU you should have bought the 15" version which has 4 cores anyways.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2016 ---
    Anyways, it's a consensus that a CPU is hardly worth it unless you're doing video rendering. For light to medium usage you'll never notice any difference. Most modern games only utilize dual cores.

GPU, SSD, RAM (in descending order) are much worthy upgrades.

5. Jker thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I'm going to stick with the base :)

Would RAM really be worth it? I pretty much only use it for day to day use which is Chrome, Office and LoL.

6. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

Base model is "enough" for everything you need. A better CPU will give you that extra "happiness" and "self esteem" that usually would only be visible under benchmarking. 16GB is recommended if you are constantly running with a VM.

7. Jker thread starter macrumors member