2 "Admin" accounts. One set up by remote Microsoft staff

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ChristyT, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ChristyT macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'll try to keep this short. I downloaded Office 365 unsuccessfully. After 2 days with the help desk, I reached a microsoft guy from Pakistan today. He downloaded Office 365 from my SkyDrive Account and it failed. So he set up a new Admin for my desktop and was able to successfully download Office365. (this was all done remotely with my permission).

Problem 1. I don't know what he used for the password. I thought I should go in and change the information (he spelled my name wrong, and change the password) but I don't know how to. I feel vulnerable, doesn't seem secure? Please help me.

Problem 2. Is it normal to have 2 Admin's on one desktop? I'm the only user. I just don't understand why we couldn't download this Microsoft Office 365 on my account.

Any help is very much appreciate! If I don't respond right away, please don't think I'm ungrateful. I just started school and have little spare time etc. etc.!

Thank you :)

2. Sanatogen macrumors member

Sanatogen

It sounds like a scammer to me. I've heard and read about people posing as Microsoft experts, taking control of your computer to "fix" your problems when in actual fact they're doing the opposite.

3. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I'm going to take a WAG that you used a search engine (Google?) to find the telephone number of the "guy from Microsoft" that helped you.

How much did he charge you for his remote assistance? Or is that coming when he calls back to finish his assistance?

I am extremely suspicious that you were actually dealing with a Microsoft employee or a genuine Microsoft contractor.

I think that you've been had.

At the very least, get into any accounts that were shared with this support person and change passwords and recovery information.

4. macthefork macrumors 6502

Two Administrator accounts is acceptable on a Mac system. However, in your case, there is no reason a second Admin account would be necessary for the technical support you discussed. Therefore, it is highly suspect.

The best thing to do at this point would be to restore from Time machine to a time prior to your contacting this tech support. This would uninstall any changes he might have made.

If you don't have a time machine backup, you can remove the second Administrator Account from within your own Administrator account by going into System Preferences > Users & Groups, and select the Admin account you want to remove, and then click the "-" button at the bottom of the column. You may have to click on the lock (at the bottom of the window) and enter your password to do this. This will remove the second Admin account completely.

Are you able to use Office 365 from within your Administrator account now?

5. ChristyT thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses. I'm am a little stressed! I got the phone number from the help desk down in Madison WI. It was transfer to transfer.. So I think (hope) it was on the up and up, however, since I lack computer skills, and he started this new "Admin another user account" I am worried.

If I go onto the account he made, I get Office 365. If I log in under my own original, Office 365 does not work. When on the phone I asked if I could just log into my own, (thinking in the back of my mind and get rid of his) and he sounded unsure.

So I'm afraid to undo his account on one hand because I will be back to square one, with no Office365, which I need for school. I'd think that if I was had, it would have happened by now?

Hope this makes sense. Thank you all for your response.

Christy

----------

Update: I have the number on my phone and dialed it. Got a Microsoft automated menu and remembered the guys name when asked to say who you were calling, and thank God I actually reached him (sort of, left a message). I'm going to Google the number now. Fingers crossed!

----------

On another note: No it didn't cost me anything. Unless he's in my computer. Ugh.

6. macthefork, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

macthefork macrumors 6502

In your own Administrator account on your Mac, did you try to sign in using this site... (Microsoft's Account Page)? This is for Microsoft 365 Home premium.

You should be able to sign into your Microsoft account from your Mac Administration account using the same email and password that works on the other Mac Administration account at that first link above.

After you've done that, are you unable to complete the download? If you have downloaded, are you sure it's the .dmg file for the Mac? Double clicking on the .dmg didn't open an installer? If it did open an installer, the installer didn't work? (just trying to see where the problem might be)

There's more help info here.

7. ChristyT thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got online. I am going to search around and see what file it ends with etc. etc. Thank you so much for the information/help!! Will let you know the outcome tomorrow or maybe Friday depending on schedule.

Thanks again:)
    Christy

8. ChristyT thread starter macrumors newbie

update

Hello,

I'm downloading Office on my Admin acct right now. Followed your link etc. etc. Problem is it takes over 1.5hours to download. Crazy right? Broadband. Seems fast otherwise......'Microsoft' guy said should be 15minutes tops.

So will see! Thanks again for your help:)
    Christy