Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koopa35

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
hello, i let my sis use my mac at times. she know what to install and what not to do. if i make her account an admin like mines. is there away to prevent her from screwing with my account by accident or other wise? the reason i want to do this is because im tired of her asking for my password to install apps. her account is standard with no restrictions but it still asks for my password. any suggestion will be welcomed:p

edit: on another note does anyone know how to not auto sign up for thread subs? i hate getting emails about a thread i posted 3 days ago

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
She can screw with your account and view your files if she has an admin account. She'll have to enter her admin password to do it, but she can, no trouble at all.

koopa35

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
She can screw with your account and view your files if she has an admin account. She'll have to enter her admin password to do it, but she can, no trouble at all.

yea but i dont want her to screw with my account. the reason i was thinking of doing this, is so i dont have to enter MY password when she wants to install an app

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm fairly certain that, if you enable FileVault, she won't be able to see your files unless, perhaps, you're also logged in.

Still, if it were me, I'd deal with the hassle of installing apps for her.

Edit: also, yes, she can install applications into her home folder, just not the Applications folder.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
yes i understand that. but is there away i can get her account to have permission to do so with out having access to my account? will making another applications folder on her account help?

No, with a admin password, that person has full access to the entire system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.