"(2)" after computer name in sidebar????!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ajdb9, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ajdb9 macrumors member

[​IMG]
    Why is there a "(2)" after the name of the computer (Macbook Pro) in the sidebar???
    Can someone shed some light on this?
    Im just curious lol
    Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because there is another computer on the same network with the same name. Probably the computer on which this screenshot was taken, given the icon for Macintosh HD.

3. tbrinkma macrumors 68000

I don't know about that. I've got the same thing going on with my MBP. I've got 3 *devices* on my network.

ISD - the AirPort Extreme (has massive amounts of storage hanging off it)
    Falcon - my Sawtooth (it's an old hunk of junk with serious upgrades)
    Interceptor - my MacBook Pro (sleek & fast)

Interceptor shows up on the network as 'Interceptor (2)'.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Rename it. It's from a time when you had two with the same name.

Did you use Migration Assistant on any of these computers at any time?

There you go.

5. ajdb9 thread starter macrumors member

hmmmm

Thats very funny.
    Because you see, we only have one mac, have only ever networked this mac with one other computer, which is an HP to which it is currently networked.
    I have never used migration assistant, and the icons for the Macintosh HD and WINDOWS XP are customized by me, so are unrelated.
    Hmmmmm.
    Will reboot and see if it stays the same.
    thanks so far! :)
    :apple: out

6. ajdb9 thread starter macrumors member

More info

I went into System Preferences and found this:
    [​IMG]
    So I got rid of the "(2)", but I was shocked to see the following (baring in mind that I have networked together ONE macbook pro and ONE HP desktop only - two devices only total):
    [​IMG]
    and on doing a Get Info on that 'MacBook Pro (2)' in the Shared section (if this is any help to any one:
    [​IMG]
    Any ideas anyone!!???
    lol
    Thanks
    :apple: out

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Just artifacts left over from the change. Restart and everything should be good.

8. schmidty11 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same trouble.....

I am having the same exact thing with my MacBook Pro.
    My computer is on a college network, but it has a very unique name, and one that has no chance of anyone else in the college having.
    I want to know what is responsible for this. For now I'm going to try to change my computer name and see what happens, but I want to know what made this happen.

Thanks in advance for any help!

9. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

schmidty11,

Your issue is that your computer is putting the "(2)" after the name you gave it? Or it is something completely different?

From what I understand about your post is that you want to create a completely unique computer name that no one else will take?

The "(2)" usually occurs when a network fail occurs or if a computer network fails.

For example, a few weeks ago I had this issue, and it came from my wireless going down (due to ISP) and it occurred again when I was restarting from Vista to OS X (I have my Vista computer the same so if I'm on my iMac, I can still tell what it is).

So what usually happens, for me at least, in the 2nd issue, OS X and Vista kinda don't re-initialize the viewable "wall" clock. As far as I can tell, this is due to my pfSense gateway box not giving my Airport Express as much flexibility as I'd like.

And to be honest, this is an issue that you really shouldn't worry about.

10. schmidty11 macrumors newbie

Yes there is a (2) after my computer name. I just changed the name back to what it was before and everything seems to be fine. I really am not worrying about this. I think for me it had to do with me trying to connect to a VNC server and I was having troubles. Don't ask how, I'm not sure of the specifics, but now that I think of when the number showed up, I'm sure that is what caused it.
    Thanks for your advise though! :)

11. EvanEm macrumors newbie

Same issue following sudden screen blank

In my case, I was actively working. Suddenly my computer screen went blank (the blue that usually immediately follows boot), went to the log in screen.

When I logged in, my computer name had the "(2)." Have rebooted a few times since and it's still there, though there are no other computers on the network right now.

Not sure what the glitch was, but from reading this thread, it sounds like whatever blanked out my computer didn't remove it from it's own imagined network, so when it came back online, it saw a ghost of itself and gave itself a new name = )

I haven't noticed any issues, but will change the name and see if all is resolved. If not, I'll follow-up. If no follow-up, assume all is well.

12. raf123ca macrumors newbie