2 airport express & 1 extreme on the same network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thingamajigidid, Nov 26, 2007.

1. thingamajigidid macrumors member

i recently purchased a couple of goodies...
    2 airport express and one extreme...
    i have the extreme connected to my modem..
    one express connected in back of my stereo, connecting to my network and expanding my network, using the simple set up.. not manual
    and my last express in another part of the house, doing the same.

my problem is that once in a while i don't see my airport expresses on the utility...
    and i hate to restart them.. everytime.. they should work no matter howlong they have been plugged in i think.. not just plug in when i need to use them.. specially when i am using them to expand my network.

is there a reason why i can't read them all at once sometimes? at least not until i restart them...?
    anyone has problems with them?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Do they stop functioning, or just not appearing in the airport admin utility?

Are you using leopard? Recently, I was trying to find my airport express in the utility and it wasn't appearing, and it took quite some time to show up, but it eventually did. I suspect it's just as small bug.

It really shouldn't be that big of a problem, because you shouldn't have to run the utility often.

3. thingamajigidid thread starter macrumors member

i am running leopard... 2 macs and one windows.. all appear to have the same problem, they don't see at one point... or the other.. one of the expresses....

they stay with the green light on...
    but when i try to play music using itunes, on any computer mac or pc, the express dosn't show up..

and if i try going online.. with the computer that is connected using the ethernet cord to the express in the other room, it dosn't go online..unless i reboot the express... ( i am using the express as a wireless - ethernet connection for one of my computers - which is cool because i found out it actually works :) )

so sometimes, my computer can't connect online which is one using an express..
    or i can't connect my itunes wireless to my stereo, which is using the 2nd express..

or both aren't working.. and i have to re-boot them.. for them to function.. and its so... painfully annoying since its just suppose to work.. by the way.. this are new to me.. so i dunno if this is expected from them.. but otherwise.. i luv there function.. but my 5 year old d-link 624 router worth 20 dollars when i bought it.. hasn't seen that many problems.. in its life time compared to one week or two of my new airports.. :(

4. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    In real life... do you always... talk using... ellipsis?

If you have to keep rebooting your routers, then obviously something is not quite right. I don't own any Apple wireless gear, so I can't really comment based on experience with their hardware, but from experience in general both doing computer, network, and wifi troubleshooting, and from experience using other companies' gear, it'd be my guess either they're locking up or there's some kind of general instability present.

Clearly this isn't a "any-one-specific-computer" issue.

Clearly, this also isn't being fixed by simply rebooting them.

Are there any available firmware updates from Apple for them? If so, have you tried applying them?

5. thingamajigidid thread starter macrumors member

i already have updated them, and i installed them while being walked through by an apple care rep. 2xs

i was gonna call again today to let them know that it keeps happening, but i never got them on the phone, so i am just gonna wait till tomorrow to call, and just see what happens.

6. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

2 airport express & 1 extreme on the same network

What you're experiencing is not typical for an Airport network.

I live very close to a military camp. They do lots of things with electronic signals that interfere with my network. So I have 3 Airport Extremes and 3 3 Airport Expresses.

I have had the exact same problem as you have had.

Make sure you do a soft reset on the station you're having a problem with. Then a hard reset.

This is the trick I discovered make sure the Extreme, or Express, and your Mac are next to each other, say a couple of feet or so. And then configure that station.

That's done the trick for me.

7. thingamajigidid thread starter macrumors member

its works for a while, then it goes off, but the green light on it..is stil on it physically. it could be my neighbor i need to ask him if he has a 2.4 ghz phone.. now that will be odd to ask :)