2 Airport Extreme bases. Would this work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by N0ddie, Oct 26, 2011.

1. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

I currently have 1 Airport Extreme base station (AEBS) connected into the WAN port (Through an ethernet cable obvioulsy) of my SKY router. I have turned the wireless function off on the SKY router and am using the AEBS for the wireless side of things. This is all downstairs where the phone socket is so wireless signal/range is good down there. Upstairs however signal can drop by one bar sometimes 2 on the wifi signal.

I know that the Airport Express' are designed to increase the wireless range but I really like how the AEBS looks so was gonna buy another one for upstairs so "boost" the signal up there. Would also plug a HDD into the one upstairs and use it as a network drive (Having another box with another cable in the living room would tip the wife over the edge lol).

Long and winded story but my question is, would this work? I think it would but just wanna confirm before I spend my money.

Regards

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yeah that'll work fine. On your current AEBS set the network "Allow to be extended.". On the new one, just set it to extend your current network.

Just FYI Apple sells AEBS in their refurb store..you could pick up one of those to save a few bucks :)

3. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Yes it will work, but keep in mind that if you are connecting the 2 Extremes wirelessly then you will be cutting your speed roughly in half. If possible, you need to connect the 2 by cat5 for full speed.

4. N0ddie thread starter macrumors 6502

N0ddie

Cheers for that bud.

Hmmm. Not so good. No chance of being able to hook them up with CAT5. I assume using the Airport Express will have the same problem.

5. hafr macrumors 68030

Two short ethernet cables and a set of PLN boxes and you're good to go. Cheap and effective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication

6. bwhinnen macrumors 6502

If you can't run Ethernet between the two floors then investigate the usage of Ethernet over Power. Something like the Powerline products from Netcomm or similar. The only issue is that you are limited to 200mbps between the two devices on the current models...

So it would go AEBS on ground floor -> Powerline in wall plug -> electrical wiring -> Powerline in wall plug on first floor -> AEBS on first floor.

Then you need to create a wireless network on both AEBS' and ensure that the SSID's and pass codes are the same on both.

I do something similar here but have CAT6 throughout the house.