2 Airport extremes issue Networking help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chrisg1000, May 25, 2011.

1. chrisg1000 macrumors newbie

So here is the issue. I split an interest connection with the downstair person. We have a cable modem hooked up to a Dlink DGS-2205 then from there we each have our own airport extreme. He moved in first and his was working great, now I plugged mine in and his won't work. I tired resetting the Dlink and the cable modem, along with the airports but with no luck, where am I screwing up? I can only get one airport working at a time it seems, is this a limitation of the Dlink, the cable modem or me :( Thanks for any help!

2. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

The splitting problem seems to be an issue. Splitting the connection from one cable modem to 2 different routers won't work - and if it does, it won't work well.

Essentially, my advice is for one of you to get an AirPort Express. At least, with the Express, you can take the splitter out of the scenario. Instead, the AirPort Extreme could be used connected to the cable modem, and the AirPort Express could extend the network.

Alternatively, if you are upstairs / downstairs neighbors, 1 AirPort Extreme should be just fine - and should provide a strong Wireless connection for both levels. Why not just use 1?