2 Airport Extremes on the same network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yano729, Apr 19, 2013.

1. yano729 macrumors member

Hey whats up everybody. I am having a little problem with my wireless internet. I have had one airport extreme set up on my home network and the desktop which it is wired to have a network speed of around 35 mbs (which is normal). But when I use my wifi a couple of rooms away the speed drops around to 1.5 mbs, which doesn't make sense to me. I also set up another airport extreme in my bedroom and set that up as an "extend wireless network" and I get the same 1.5 mbs when its wired to that airport extreme in my room. I have contacted my internet provided and they said everything is fine. Im really not sure what is going on here. All of the airport software is up to date. Could it be too many airports on a network that is hogging all the bandwidth. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks for your help.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

If your laptop gets 1.5 mbps in your room, so will the AirPort Extreme when it is connected to your existing network, so anything wired to that Extreme is also going to be getting 1.5 mbps. It can only give the same speed to hardwired devices as it gets from its wireless connection.

What you would need to do is place the second Extreme somewhere between your main Extreme and your bedroom, so that it can connect to the main network at a faster speed. Then it will be able to extend the network to your room and you should be able to see faster speeds wirelessly.

Also, have you looked at possibly changing the channel your Extreme is using? If it's not just distance that's causing the slow speeds, it could be interference from other wireless devices or routers in your neighbourhood.

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Have I got this right ? You have two AEs connected by LAN and the speeds of devices connected to the second AE are poor ? Is the second AE configured in Bridge Mode ? Try configuring the second AE as Create A Wireless Network (don't use Extend WiFi in Bridge mode).

PS. Your speeds are probably MBps (Mega Bytes /sec) ?

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Okay we need a little more background..... But first let me see if I can summarize your post.

1. You have one airport extreme in one room with a desktop connected to it via Ethernet.
    2. Your "network" speed is 35mb/s at the desktop which I assume is actually your internet speed (network is generally used as a term for computers connected within a home or business an excludes internet).
    3. You setup another Airport Extreme in your bedroom because the wifi speeds there are only getting 1.5mb/s on the "network" (which again I assume is your internet speed?).

So assuming all of my assumptions are correct. Here's a few questions I have. 1. What are you using to test your wifi speeds? Could it be the wifi in the device you are using has issues? 2. Have you tested the internet speeds on wifi next to the "main" airport extreme? See #1 if the internet speeds on wifi next to the first airport extreme are still the lowly 1.5mbs. 3. Have you tried changing the wifi channels? Many you are getting a lot of interference from other neighbors with wifi?

Adding a second Airport Extreme should have helped with speeds. The Airport Extremes have more powerful radios than the simple cards found in computers. It would be better if it was put in a mid-point somewhere between the bedroom and where the Main Airport Extreme is, but it still should have helped.

5. yano729 thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks for the advice guys. Here is what I am thinking is the problem. Almost everyone one of my wireless devices is connected to my second AirPort Extreme ( the one not connected via Ethernet). How do I make that my wireless devices connect to my main AirPort Extreme rather then my secondary one?

----------

1. I am using speedtest.net to test the connection speed.
    2. Yes I have tested devices close to the main airport and they work fine.
    3. No I have not tried changing wifi channels as im not exactly sure how to do that.

Thanks again for your help everyone