2 and 3 finger swiping behaviors are totally different

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by maverick808, Jul 20, 2011.

1. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

If you have two-finger swipe between pages set then when you swipe in Safari you see a card-slide animation, and if you do the same in iCal month view you see the page tear animation. You can not swipe at all in some apps like Finder or System Preferences.

However, if you set three-finger swipe between pages then when you swipe in Safari or iCal there is no animation (I much prefer this as everything suddenly feels snappier).

Furthermore, with three-finger swipe you can now navigate back/forward in loads more apps... it works in Finder and System Preferences.

I don't get why the behaviour is different, or why Apple isn't making it clear how different selections result in completely different behaviour. The fact that certain selections mean you can't swipe in a ton of apps should be made clear... if I hadn't chanced to try three-finger swipe I probably would have just assumed that swiping in Finder wasn't possible anymore.

2. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

What I'd like is for the two–finger swipe to work in Finder and other apps. I like the two–finger animations in Safari and iCal, but having to switch to three–finger swipes for Finder, Chrome etc is annoying.

3. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

4. WonkyPanda macrumors regular

WonkyPanda

It must be intentional because the gesture video shows the difference in the UI when choosing between 2 or 3 swipe. Definitely an odd choice.

5. mattbethe macrumors newbie

I was annoyed I can't swipe up and down with three fingers in mail anymore to move between messages. However I turned on "Swipe with two or three fingers" and now I can navigate messages, but it's a left and right gesture.

I can't get the old three finger up and down swiping functionality at all in finder. Has anyone found a way to do this?

6. psxtreme macrumors member

I just was playing around with this after reading this post and realized there is a big difference in safari besides just the visual animation: A three finger swipe seems to actually reload the page, while a two finger swipe retains the page how it was before.