2 Apple 4870's - What to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ildondeigiocchi, Sep 7, 2009.

1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Ok guys so here's the issue. I was waiting for the launch of the Intel X25 M Gen 2 but as they are now listed at 379$ CAD on newegg I intend to wait for a price drop before getting my hands on them. I was thinking since I have two Apple ATI Radeon 4870 (only 1 is in the system) should I install the second, buy a power supply that fits in my second ODD and run them in crossfire for gaming purposes in Windows? I remember reading a post about this previously but it seemed as though people found it was unsuccessful. Has anyone been successful in running to Apple 4870's in crossfire? I have my second 4870 from my 2008 Mac Pro which was replaced by Apple in June because it was faulty. I had bought a 4870 in May so I kept it. Now it's just sitting in a box picking up dust. I don't know what to do with it. If Xfire would work it would be putting it to good use. Any ideas guys?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

AFAIK OS X does not support CrossFire; as far as Windows goes, I've been out of that loop for so long, I can't answer.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

In Apple 4870 crossfire is disabled full stop. Will not even run in Windows.

4. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

That's nice to know. Guess I'll have to sell it anyone interested :D