2 Apple ID's, 1 iCloud Photo Library. What's the best solution?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by djuarez03, Apr 15, 2015.

1. djuarez03 macrumors regular

Here is my situation. I have separate Apple ID's for me and my wife's iDevices. On her Apple ID, I upped the iCloud storage in order to store all of our photos online under her Apple ID. I know I can always log in to iCloud.com through my iPhone browser using her Apple ID if I want to take a look at our photo library, but it's not the best way to view our photos from what I've experienced.

Are there any other good alternatives to this? I know I can always just start using her Apple ID for myself so I can have easier access to the library, but I'm just afraid that some of our info, such as contacts and notes, will end up merging if I do this, and don't really want the hassle of trying to filter out/separate our info. I might be more open to this possiblity if someone has a good guide of how to efficiently merge two Apple ID's into one.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If all of your devices are on current OSes, you might consider Family Sharing.

B

3. afsnyder macrumors 65816

The post above me suggests family sharing but that doesn't work with iCloud Photo Library. iCloud Photo Library must use the same Apple ID at least for now. I can imagine them expanding it to Family sharing as well considering a lot of families would love to have the same pictures.

The other way to do it is populate a giant Shared Photo Album. But it doesn't have the same organization and its all manual. On the plus side, you can comment and like photos.

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Two options that I can think of at the moment.

1) Move to another service. I use iCloud myself but its not going to do what you want in the current configuration. Look at cloud services like OneDrive or Flickr. You will get plenty of space and both of you can view/manage the photos.

2) Use shared photo albums. Have your wife, or do it for her, mark photos for sharing and share them to your ID. You will lack management but will have a view of the photos so its better than nothing.

5. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Do what the user above suggested and use shared photos album where you and your wife can upload any pictures taken and you can watch them both on your own devices. Otherwise you maybe have to wait till family sharing supports IPL.