2 Apple Watch questions

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JohnApples, Apr 8, 2015.

1. JohnApples macrumors 65816

So as we get closer to Apple Watch's release, I'm discovering more about it obviously, and the the reviews help a lot too. However I still have 2 questions about the Apple Watch that I could not find an answer to, one functional and one aesthetic. I'm hoping someone has the answers I'm looking for, or can at least give their best guess/opinion on the matter.

First, the function question. We know that the Watch must be tethered to the iPhone to send and receive Internet data. While you're out and about, the Watch will be using your phone's cellular or wifi connectivity to communicate. But, let's say you're using LTE, and you move into a building that has wifi that you've never connected to before. Will you be able to, without pulling out your phone, connect to the new wifi network via the Watch?

I know it's not a huge deal, but it seems like it would be more convenient to simply tap a few buttons on your wrist to set up the wifi connection on your phone, rather than pulling out the phone itself. This would especially be convenient for those who have data limits, I think. If the wifi network was password protected, you would be told to continue wifi setup on your iPhone, where it would instantly take you to the correct screen.

Second, the aesthetic question. I really like analog faces, and I especially enjoy the simple analog face where you can have 4 complications, one in each corner. However, I did not see a customization option for the behavior of the second hand. It seems that it only can act as the "constantly moving" second hand, and not the "tick-tocking" kind. In fact, I think the only analog face that tick tocks is the Mickey mouse one.

It's a personal preference for me, and not a huge deal, but I would rather have a second hand that moves every second instead. Does anyone think this could be a customization option somewhere, or at least added on in a later update?

Thanks!

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Regarding Question #1

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1863551

3. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Luckily for you, NO, because you don't have to. Since the Watch and your iPhone work together there's no need to set up wifi access through the watch. You do it on your phone, and all the nitty-gritty details will be taken care of for you without further intervention.

Your thought is sound, but there's no way to enter text on the Watch. How would you input a password without a keyboard...? After all, most wifi networks are password protected these days, even free ones, and for the sake of everyone; those that aren't should be. ;)

This is also a worthy idea, and even one that could save a bit of power by only re-drawing the screen once a second, but I think Apple simply loves their new shiny hardware so much that they want to show off the high-definition, smoothly sliding second hand, heh.

Hopefully this feature will be added in the future, but of course, it's not anything anyone outside of Apple know if they're even considering doing...

4. JohnApples thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys for the quick responses!

Armen, I missed that thread and I haven't seen that article. It was interesting and answered another question I didn't even know I had, haha! But, that was a bit different from what I was asking. I was wondering what the Watch would do if you were entering an unknown hotspot. Could you, say, add that hotspot to your iPhone's memorized wifi connections, completely from your watch?

Lennyvalentin, I did realize that most hotspots now either are password protected, or take you to a webpage where you must "Agree" to terms before you can use the connection. These would NOT be convenient on the Watch because of it's tiny screen and obvious lack of keyboard lol! But, should a hotspot be completely 'free to join', would you be able to go to Settings on the Watch and connect to it solely from there without touching your phone? I guess that's a really specific question, but we'll find out soon enough!

Regarding the second hand question, I agree that Apple is probably sticking with the "smooth" second hand to show off it's "high definition" and make it look more elegant. Still, it's a tiny nitpick that would mean a lot to me if they add in that extra option! Probably not on the top of their agenda, but it's such an easy addition!

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm pretty sure the watch is going to use your iphone's known list of hotspots for connectivity :)

6. JohnApples thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, that seems to be the case! Thanks! Because I travel a lot and constantly go into horrible cell coverage areas (Sprint user lol!), I thought it would be pretty nifty to just tap a couple buttons on my wrist and bam! Phone and Watch are connected to a new wifi network. Eh, it's hardly a big deal!